Can I use the Vista Ultimate DVD to install Vista Home Basic?

G'morning all,

I have a laptop with Home Basic on it that I want to reformat it but my dad has no idea where any of the CDs that came with it are. Can I use my 32-bit Vista Ultimate CD to reformat and install Home Basic? I'm pretty sure I can but most Google results are for upgrading Vista, not downgrading it (which isn't what I'm doing, technically).

Thanks for looking. :)

I'm asuming the laptop came with Home Basic pre-loaded. . . so the COA on the laptop is going to be OEM. If the Ultimate disk you have is OEM you will have no issues. If it is retail call the OEM of the laptop and have them ship you the restore disks. . .

I'm asuming the laptop came with Home Basic pre-loaded. . . so the COA on the laptop is going to be OEM. If the Ultimate disk you have is OEM you will have no issues. If it is retail call the OEM of the laptop and have them ship you the restore disks. . .

+1 for that. They typically only charge shipping also...

+1 for that. They typically only charge shipping also...

Nope. -1 for that!

For starters, the 'Genuine Microsoft install disks' for Vista are basically the same image for OEM that they are for retail. There are pretty much only TWO Vista install disks - the 32-bit disk and the 64-bit disk. (Apart from pre-SP and SP-integrated, of course). It's the install key code which interacts with the installer to 'enable' what version and license is deployed. The OEM System Builder disk is the exact same disk as the Retail Vista disk, for example, in everything except the label. Any 'Genuine' Vista disk (or copy of same) can be used to deploy any version of Vista.

Some of the OEM manufacturers use a 'customised' install, which interacts with BIOS. But, even on a brand-name pre-installed rig, you should be able to use a 'normal' Vista disk to install the version of your choice, with the only genuine impediment being maybe problems encountered during activation. It may not automatically activate, necessitating a call to Activation Centre and manual activation.

Absolute 'worst case scenario' (and I've yet to see this conclusively confirmed from user comments) would be the scenario whereby, for some reason or other, the manufacturer provided install key was rejected by the installer, when a 'normal' install disk was used.

In that event, it is perfectly possible to use the 'normal' install disk to deploy the relevent version installation, and then 'assign' the install key code to the installation as part of the activation process. Activation Call Center personmel should be able to 'step' people through the process, over the phone.

Edit:

Oh! Forgot!

Brand name 'pooter manufacturers DO NOT generally provide physical recovery disks for just postage and handling charges. There's usually recovery facility provided on the hard drive, a tool preinstalled which allows physical recovery media to be created from that, and clearly written warnings in the documentation telling purchasers that creating physical recovery media is about the first thing they should do.

And there's usualy a pretty bloody hefty charge involved, for dills who don't do what they're told, and who need to 'order' physical recovery media!

I have had hard drives die in dells, compaqs and hp's that were out of warranty. A quick 5 minute call got the correct disk sent. Dell even overnighted them to me.

You're a lucky fellow then, Python. I've seen plenty of people get charged exorbitant fees for the provision of those. there was a thread here recently which mentioned an asking price of about $US65 (I think, from memory) for the provision of recovery disks. For interest's sake, I contacted HP Australia in relation to my own reasonably recent Compaq branded laptop, and found that the asking price for media provision was high enough that I could've scoured the 'resale' marketplace and obtained another LICENSE for the thing for less!

Edit:

Nope. Just did a search and checked. The thread mentioned quoted an asking price of about $US40, not $65. And I'm damned glad that I actually MADE a set of disks for my own laptop.

I have used the same Vista x64 install disk to install Vista Ultimate x64 on my desktop and then Vista Home basic x64 (oem) on my laptop.

The key you enter will determine the version that gets installed and it does not matter if it is oem or retail, they all use the same disk.

There are actually three Vista install disks... Vista Ultimate retail includes 32-bit and 64-bit versions, last I remember. :)

Anyhow, the laptop is reformatting right now and my Ultimate OEM DVD did work, so thanks for all the comments gents. :)

There are actually three Vista install disks... Vista Ultimate retail includes 32-bit and 64-bit versions, last I remember. :)

Anyhow, the laptop is reformatting right now and my Ultimate OEM DVD did work, so thanks for all the comments gents. :)

That's still only two disks, 32 and 64 :D.

In all there are now a total of four discs and numerous labels that are applied to them

32bit
32bit SP1 Integrated
64bit
64bit SP1 integrated.

There is no such thing as an OEM, Retail, or Upgrade anymore. 32 bit keys will work with 64 bit discs and vice versa. However, OEM licensing may trip you up on that last part.

There are actually TWO disks, and Vista Ultimate Retail contains both of them.

You can use the disk from even a 'Vista Basic' package to install Vista Ultimate. The full feature set of every Vista version is on every Vista install disk. Your install code key 'unlocks' the feature set to be installed for your version/license type.

Edit: I already mentioned the SP integrated installs above :)

You're a lucky fellow then, Python. I've seen plenty of people get charged exorbitant fees for the provision of those. there was a thread here recently which mentioned an asking price of about $US65 (I think, from memory) for the provision of recovery disks. For interest's sake, I contacted HP Australia in relation to my own reasonably recent Compaq branded laptop, and found that the asking price for media provision was high enough that I could've scoured the 'resale' marketplace and obtained another LICENSE for the thing for less!

Edit:

Nope. Just did a search and checked. The thread mentioned quoted an asking price of about $US40, not $65. And I'm damned glad that I actually MADE a set of disks for my own laptop.

Most of the time I said that I was hired to repair the computer and they did not include the disk when they brought it in for repair. They seemed really eager to help me out most of the time. I guess it all depends on who you get on the phone.

Oh, I thought that Ultimate retail had both versions on one disc, I didn't know it just came with both discs. :p :)

Edit:

I had a hard drive die in a newish HP laptop. A quick call to customer support, and they overnighted the Vista install discs to me at no cost, just had to read off the serial number on the laptop. This is in the USA though. Kinda disappointed they don't offer the same sort of service in Australia.

Back