Can I Use PCI-E Connectors From a Corsair HX850 on a HX620?

Sithtiger

Weaksauce
Hi, I have a Corsair HX850 850 watt PSU that I'm sending back for RMA, but the only PSU I have to use until I get a replacement is an even older Corsair HX620, 620 watt PSU. You can see in my specs I have a 2080. So, the 620, only has an 8-pin PCI-E cable. My question is, can I plug in a PCI-E cable from the 850 and plug it into the 620 because the 2080 requires a 6+8-pin connector?
Thanks in advance!

best ask the manufacture. most of the power supply cables share the connectors to the PSU itself. However some are pinned on the connector different. there is the chance you could let the magic smoke out

Definitely not.

Your 620 came with 2 PCIe connectors, and if you're saying it has an 8-pin, then it should have 2 of them (the original release was 6-pin only, so double check). Those will work, assuming that old of a PSU is still up to the task; I retired both of my 620s years ago when the voltage regulation couldn't hold it together anymore.

Definitely not.

Your 620 came with 2 PCIe connectors, and if you're saying it has an 8-pin, then it should have 2 of them (the original release was 6-pin only, so double check). Those will work, assuming that old of a PSU is still up to the task; I retired both of my 620s years ago when the voltage regulation couldn't hold it together anymore.

Thank you!!! I checked and I have 2 six-pin connectors, not 8 for the HX620. Additionally, the cables look different between the 850 and 620. So, you're right, I don't have 8-pin PCI-E cables. The cables with my HX820 are sleeved with some netting around the PCI-E cables and the Since they're both semi-modular, the 24-pin mobo cable is attached to the PSU. Should I worry about the other cables as well? I think I should just use all the cables from the 620 and ship back all the cables with the HX850 to be safe. I'm glad I asked because I wasn't sure if there would be a problem or not. I was trying to save time using the same connectors. Whew! The thing is I put a few of the 620 cables with my 850 bag. The Molex connectors should be safe since they don't plug directly into the PSU. What about the SATA cables? The cable I have in my 850 bag says only TX/HX Series only. Both the 620 and 850 are HX series, so are both the same?

best ask the manufacturer. Most of the power supply cables share the connectors to the PSU itself. However, some are pinned on the connector different. there is the chance you could let the magic smoke out.
I emailed them, but it's the weekend and I have to send my PSU back on Monday. The last day of my warranty was yesterday Friday, July 26, but I contacted them on Thursday, July 25. I'm good for a few days since they wouldn't have gotten my PSU before the warranty period ended. So, I'll just be safe and use all the cables that are from the HX620 PSU. I believe the HX850 Platinum is fully modular. I'll make sure not to mix any other cable together this time, save Molex or SATA data cables. I store other cables in the bag too but I won't mix potentially dangerous cables anymore now that I know some cables might look the same but have a different pin and/or connector layout. i.e. some connectors might have the same physical shape as another PSU connector but could have wire paths. Thanks for the response.

BTW, do you think it's the voltage regulator that's going out on my PSU? My problem is, when I play certain games, the computer will just shut down spontaneously and then restart with no warning message. I'm not overclocking anything, temps are fine, but other games will run fine, like pretty much all Frostbite engine games. I've tried several drivers and it's not that. I also sent back my 2080 that I bought at the beginning of the year and the 2nd one seemed fine at first but had the same problem.

I would have the same issue with my older 1070, but it only happened 2 maybe 3 times last year. I think it was happening with the 1070 too, but the 1070 used 100 fewer watts than my 2080 does! It shuts down on certain benchmarks within seconds, while others will go on and on in a loop and will never crash. I've checked cables, as I said sent my card back to get another. It did the same thing with a different mobo, RAM, and CPU too!

I'm pretty sure the problem is the PSU, but this is new for me because any PSU's I've seen go bad before have done so anytime they are pushed, but this is different.

Last edited:
Whew! The thing is I put a few of the 620 cables with my 850 bag. The Molex connectors should be safe since they don't plug directly into the PSU. What about the SATA cables? The cable I have in my 850 bag says only TX/HX Series only. Both the 620 and 850 are HX series, so are both the same?

Uh-oh. The practice of companies reusing essentially identical names for new products is really annoying. There are 3-4 generations of "HX850"s. I'm going to guess since your warranty just expired that yours is the older 80+ silver or gold version? Either way, never mix and match modular cables between PSUs unless you know they are from the same generation, and if you're ever not sure, don't do it! All the peripheral (molex/sata) cables on the 620 plug into the vertical 5x1 pin plugs, only the PCIe goes into the 3x2 pin, so if you have some satas with 3x2 ends, using them on the 620 will only result in fried components.

Keep the 620 cables, send back the 850 cables in the box, you're probably going to get a brand new current generation PSU out of the RMA. Take out the 2080 and run integrated graphics (or a spare GPU with 6-pins if you have it) until your replacement arrives.

Oh, and if you use sleep mode, disable it while using the 620. Starting with Haswell, Intel introduced extended low power states that required abilities only found in newer PSUs. I can't say for sure what happens if you use an incompatible PSU, but I think it just keeps running like the system is on and sleep doesn't end up working like you'd think.

Uh-oh. The practice of companies reusing essentially identical names for new products is really annoying. There are 3-4 generations of "HX850"s. I'm going to guess since your warranty just expired that yours is the older 80+ silver or gold version? Either way, never mix and match modular cables between PSUs unless you know they are from the same generation, and if you're ever not sure, don't do it! All the peripheral (molex/sata) cables on the 620 plug into the vertical 5x1 pin plugs, only the PCIe goes into the 3x2 pin, so if you have some satas with 3x2 ends, using them on the 620 will only result in fried components.

Keep the 620 cables, send back the 850 cables in the box, you're probably going to get a brand new current generation PSU out of the RMA. Take out the 2080 and run integrated graphics (or a spare GPU with 6-pins if you have it) until your replacement arrives.

Oh, and if you use sleep mode, disable it while using the 620. Starting with Haswell, Intel introduced extended low power states that required abilities only found in newer PSUs. I can't say for sure what happens if you use an incompatible PSU, but I think it just keeps running like the system is on and sleep doesn't end up working like you'd think.

Thanks for the heads up and the other info. So I already sent the HX850 off this morning. The connectors are different for the HX620. I actually had one PCI-E cable that is a 6+2. If I recall I believe I contacted Corsair and they sent me that cable for free. Also I tested the 620 on the particular games that caused the 850 to crash, that is spontaneously shut down and then restart. I also tested a couple benchmarks that caused it to do the same thing and the 620 worked beautifully! I've been dealing with this for 2 years now. The thing is I didn't know it was the PSU causing it because it only did it on certain games. It just started getting worse though and after I bought the 2080 this year, it got much worse. As I look back, I can see that my i5 9600k would crash at only 4.7GHz and now I realize it was the PSU because my temps weren't that hot...sigh. It's so weird that I used MSI Afterburner to use the OC Scanner and it never shut down and restarted once. It's no big deal as I know the cause now, but I'd like to know why it specifically did that on certain games. Oh and my PC appears to boot faster. I haven't timed it or anything but I can visually see a difference. I'd guess it's 1 to 2 seconds faster.

At any rate, yeah, I sent all the cables that came with the 850. The only cables that could fit into the 620 from the 850 were the SATA cables, that I was tempted to use, but I just had a feeling I shouldn't because the other cables use the 5x1 connector. I never put my PC to sleep, only the monitor. Yeah, I'm hoping to get a new HX850 Platinum Edition. So I bought the HX850 Gold, but I just noticed that the box says HX850 Silver, so I'm not sure what's happening there, but as long as I get a working PSU of equal value that works, I'm Ok with even a refurbished PSU. I obviously want a new one, but as long as it works.

Thanks again for the info and help. I really appreciate it! I'd also like to say thanks to matt167!

Back