Can I use my Wireless Router as a Wireless Bridge//Switch?

MadDog5145

Limp Gawd
Right now I have a wirless network setup through a Linksys WRT54G router. I also have another one of these routers lying around unused. So I am wondering if I can use this router (or routers in general) as s wireless bridge so I can connect my Xbox and PC in the basement.

If not, I might get a seperate wireless bridge like the WEG101 . But I would need a switch in order to connect multiple devices to this bridge. So is it possible to use a router as a switch?

In the end, I am just trying to save as much money as possible and try to put to use all of these routers lying around.

You can also just turn off DHCP on the second rounter you can use the built in switch. You'll have to sacrifice one port for an uplink port to your router but that gives you 3 already pre existing switch ports to use

Thanks for the help. I am going to go with the WEG101 Bridge and use a router as a switch.

You can turn the extra WRT54G you have into a wireless bridge of sorts. I have three here in the house. 1 is connected to the cable modem and its running the stock Linksys firmware. The only thing connected behind it is my Vonage phone adapter. I have two more WRT54Gs, one in the living room and one in the computer room. The living room WRT connects the Tivo and the Xbox, the one in my computer room connects my PC, my server, my Cisco VPN, and my fiance's PC. Both of these WRT54Gs connect back to the first one using WDS. It works quite well with WPA+AES encryption.

Directions on how to do it:
http://www.genslernet.com/hyperwrt

Thanks for the link. I am gonna look at the link when I have the time to tinker with my wireless setup.

Will a WRT54GX work as the main router with standard firmware as long as I mod the WRT54G's firmware?

No idea on the GSX. I've only ever done it with the WRT54G. I know someone people have had trouble with the WRT54GS models, i don't know if that applies to the GSX as well.

I did some research and it looks like the GX model does not have WDS support.

Back