Can I use my wireless router as a bridge?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Morrie20, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Morrie20

Morrie20 Limp Gawd

I just moved and my roommate has a wireless network. He has a wireless G router that his computers have no problem with. My poopy usb compaq 80211.b adapter, however, disconnects every 2 minutes. I'm sitting a floor above the router, so there shouldn't be any problems.

I just wanted to know if there was any way to salvage my linksys BEFW11S4 and make it a bridge before I go drilling a hole for cat5. I have XP and I tried the whole services.msc/wireless zero config utility to try to fix it but it didn't work.

Plz help and thx

Mo

2. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

use netstumbler to see how much signal strength you have, maybe see if your room mate wants to get a signal amplifier so you can get better signal strength. also, ask him if he has his wireless power turned down on his AP. i know on my router i can set the wireless power settings from 100% to 75%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%.

3. Morrie20

Morrie20 Limp Gawd

i didnt think it was signal, but i tried stumbler anyways.

So can I do this with my router?

4. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo n00b

Bump,
    I'm also interested in this. I have the same Linksys router that I want to use as a wireless printserver. I didn't see an option for wireless bridge anywhere in the firmwares option menu.
    The pieces I have are:
    Belkin Wireless G Router,
    Linksys Wireless B router,
    Hawking Wired PS.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Cjh

5. Morrie20

Morrie20 Limp Gawd

6. Falls Included

Falls Included I'm happy & gay too

give it a try. cant hurt.. just turn off nat, and firewall

7. K1llaB

K1llaB Limp Gawd

I am not sure the W11s4 can act in that mode. I had a spare one laying around i wanted to "convert" to just an AP. I had the latest firmware but it never wanted to get out of router mode. I tried the same thing w/ a DLink & it worked fine. Not sure if i was missing something in the Linky GUI, but i couldnt get it to work.