Can I use my 32bit vista key with a friend's 64bit dvd?

oldlore

n00b
Ok I just received my retail copy of Vista Home Premium yesterday. I'm planning to use 64bit VIsta because I've got 4GB RAM. I was planning to order the 64bit DVD version online but was wondering if I could just burn a copy of my friend's retail Vista Ultimate DVD and install it using my current key. That way I'd save $15 on shipping/handling and be able to install now instead of waiting for the DVD to arrive.

THere should be information about this on Microsoft's site, I think all vista discs are the same and the key chooses what gets installed.

The retail keys should work for both 32- and 64-bit retail editions of Vista. Vista discs have every other version within them, so yes, you could borrow your friend's Ultimate x64 disc and install 64-bit home premium from it with your key.

I just used my 32 bit ultimate key with a 64 bit ultimate disk, and it activated just fine.

You should order it, not burn your friend's copy. You use Premium. He's got Ultimate.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be putting together my new rig this weekend and *really* want to get it all done this weekend. I don't want to wait another week to get the 64 bit windows dvd or install 32bit and have to do another fresh install later.

Glad to know I can use his dvd to install it and all will go well.

Back