Can I use Exchange?

screwmesa

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 100+ email accounts that are maintained via cpanel and stored thanks to my isp and accessed via pop3. Can I use those email addresses with an Excahnge server located at my place of business?

Basically can I use an Exchange server with existing email service or do I have to start from scratch?

screwmesa said:
I have 100+ email accounts that are maintained via cpanel and stored thanks to my isp and accessed via pop3. Can I use those email addresses with an Excahnge server located at my place of business?

Basically can I use an Exchange server with existing email service or do I have to start from scratch?

You'd have to add them manually to the exchange box and then change the MX record. I don't think there is a conversion tool for cpanel mail accounts to MS Exchange.

screwmesa said:
I have used the POP3 connector from GFI to pull user e-mail from external servers into an Exchange server with success.

j4zzee said:
I have used the POP3 connector from GFI to pull user e-mail from external servers into an Exchange server with success.

Does it create the mail accounts as well?

alrox said:
Does it create the mail accounts as well?

I doubt it. Sounds like you still maintain all your email addresses (adding/deleting) through your isp and then you set up forward accounts that download messages from the pop3 accounts and send them to the appropriate exchange mailbox.

Good readins, MrGuvernment. Thanks.

One question though, when using calendar sharing through outlook, do the users use one single calendar and put which events they wish all to see or is it all or nothing?

One question though, when using calendar sharing through outlook, do the users use one single calendar and put which events they wish all to see or is it all or nothing?

i am trying to figure out the same thing..lol - same wth reminders to pop up on systems :( doesnt seem to be any clear guides on it.

Another question...I have active directory set up on Server 2003 with 100+ users and the admins only want to use the features of exchange for roughly 10 users...is it still worth the money to get and implement pop3 forwarding and calendar sharing on 10 accounts? Is there an easier/cheaper program that would do what I want, even just the calendar sharing?

EDIT: I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself here. The 10 users that would be using the exchange service via pop3 forwarding would access email and calendars through outlook. The rest of the users could still access their email through web based access from the isp like they always did or set up outlook to look to the isp's pop3 server for emails and have nothing to do with exchange.....

Am I right here or am I retarded?

EFS connector is what we are using.

i beleive you can set up exchnage to ONLY download the acount for those 10 and leave the others.

basicaly what you tell Exchnage built in connector - or a 2rd party is to download accounts - and you simply put in the user / pass POP3 / SMTP info into the connector - as if it was a "client" downloading their own email and instead the client connects to the exchange,.

I gotcha, I found GFI's connector easier to use than EFS. Anyhoo, using the exchange standard edition trial from microsoft and it does not include the x.400 connector, so I had to go 3rd party.

I'll give everything a go as soon as I get my public ip working, can't leave people without email at home.

that you cant, let me know how it works out, personally i dont like EFS connector to great and have yet to try the exchange one since our main supposrt account comes on it, so myself have to test it on another domain.

Back