Can I use an opteron processor in a 939 mobo?

JohnWest

n00b
Doing an old dream build and found a good deal on an opteron 180. Will it work in my DFI lanparty board?

Thanks!

I used an old Socket 939 DFI Lanparty UT NF4 with an Opteron 165 (1.8 OCed to 3.0), just know that while it will run that particular generation was VERY VERY picky on RAM settings like 2T/1T, timings as well as voltages going through the proc, ram, and mobo. Those S939 optys are beasts though and depending on how beat up the condition of the one you have received is in, it may be a smooth process to get everything set up and worry about the pain staking OC details at a later time. Also, the Memory controllers were a bit finicky but should work with 4 X 1GB of ram as long as you mind the timings and set it to 2T to be safe. Good Luck man, that system lasted me from 06-10,11ish.

The board supported Athlon64 x2 CPU's so it should work just fine with s939 Opterons. I never had the DFI LanParty board, but I did have (still have actually) an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board that I ran an Opteron 185 CPU in it for a while before I retired it from general use. Granted they're not identical, but the DFI and Asus boards both used nforce4 chipsets, so I'd be amazed if your board couldn't run an Opty CPU.

...actually, come to think of it, when I bought my Opty 185 off of ebay a few years ago it came mounted on a DFI LanParty board, so I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% positive your board will run an Opty 180. ;)

any place still sell quality ddr 4x1? Or am I better served mining fs/t forums?

Wondering if, since the memory controller is usually CPU-related, if I could (potentially) install more than 4GB of ECC (say 8GB aka 4x2GB) when running an opty... Ideas? I heard rumors of people running > 4GB on these chipsets... :X

Doing an old dream build and found a good deal on an opteron 180. Will it work in my DFI lanparty board?

Thanks!

i had a similar setup, Opteron 170 with a 'DFI LanParty UT CFX3200-DR (ATI CFX3200 chipset)'. was a great little system. depending on your DFI MB, your opty should run fine.

some else asked about memory, the max my DFI board supported (according to manual) was 4GB (4x1). i only ran 2GB (2x1) in mine tho. memory was super expensive back then & x64 was only in infancy.

memory was super expensive back then & x64 was only in infancy.

Agree! I ran 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Performance. The little suckers overclocked well! Now that I just to run a server on that hardware, I'm wondering if I can shove more RAM in there and I could either buy another pair of OCZ or a kit of 4x2GB of Kingston ValueRAM and just get rid of the overclock (X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz -- it's been running stable for 7 years) since I really don't need it on a server... :)

Sadly, it seems no matter what I do, I might as well just get 2x2GB (or that other set of OCZ) and be done with it... :)

Thanks for the clarifications! :)

PS: you can get 4x2GB ECC DDR400 ValueRAM for *cheap* (~$26) on eBay these days... Not sure even that's worth risking though... :p

I had an opteron [email protected] on an Asrock S939 Dual-Sata2 the mobo that could eventually take am2 cpu's and ddr2 ram, i got alot of life out of that system. Most motherboards could support the old opterons.

PS even had that corsair ram that had the led activity lights.....lol

for a minute there i thought someone dug a thread up from 2005 or something!

i have my opty 170 running on my dfi sli-dr board to this day

Would that work on a A8N-SLI Premium?
Also, is 4GB a hard limit? :)

As long as it's unbuffered/unregistered ECC, I believe it will work OK with the A8N-SLI Prem.
I believe that 8GB is max, iirc.

Can anyone help confirm what my mind is piecing together here from the past? With these old S939 systems, I'm a bit rusty. :p

Agree! I ran 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Performance. The little suckers overclocked well! Now that I just to run a server on that hardware, I'm wondering if I can shove more RAM in there and I could either buy another pair of OCZ or a kit of 4x2GB of Kingston ValueRAM and just get rid of the overclock (X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz -- it's been running stable for 7 years) since I really don't need it on a server... :)

Sadly, it seems no matter what I do, I might as well just get 2x2GB (or that other set of OCZ) and be done with it... :)

Thanks for the clarifications! :)

PS: you can get 4x2GB ECC DDR400 ValueRAM for *cheap* (~$26) on eBay these days... Not sure even that's worth risking though... :p

that's funny, i ran similar RAM (2x1GB OCZ platinum) in my DFI MB. think it's still stuck in the DIMM slots. RAM had those full cover mesh sinks.

back then OCZ re-branded stuff didn't completely suck tho i recall having to return an earlier set. if you can get a another set or replace RAM for a 4GB set on the cheap, why not. probably doesn't hurt to download the PDF manual off the asus website first. might even find a QVL sheet of approved RAM for that MB tho they are usually very outdated even when 1st released.

I had an opteron [email protected] on an Asrock S939 Dual-Sata2 the mobo that could eventually take am2 cpu's and ddr2 ram, i got alot of life out of that system. Most motherboards could support the old opterons.

PS even had that corsair ram that had the led activity lights
.....lol

I still have my Opty 180, A8N32-SLI, with the dominator light up memory modules.. 512x4 I believe.. :)

I'm gonna have to bust that thing out and see if it even runs... :)

I still have my Opty 180, A8N32-SLI, with the dominator light up memory modules.. 512x4 I believe.. :)

I'm gonna have to bust that thing out and see if it even runs... :)

i wouldn't mind reviving mine tho at least you'll be able to download archived drivers for your MB from asus. DFI drivers for any OS might be tricky to find.

i wouldn't mind reviving mine tho at least you'll be able to download archived drivers for your MB from asus. DFI drivers for any OS might be tricky to find.

It generally works out fine if you source the drivers for the board directly from whoever makes the specific component(s) (i.e. sound from Realtek, chipset from Nvidia, ethernet from Marvell, etc.).

Would that work on a A8N-SLI Premium? Don't they have the same chipset? Also, is 4GB a hard limit? :)

Yes you can run a opty in a A8n-Sli premium board. I still have my A8n-Sli rig up and running. I had to send the psu out for RMA. Also I am running 8800 gtx's in Sli. Here are a couple pics of it.

IMG_1042 (Large).jpg

IMG_1036 (Large).jpg

IMG_1040 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Back