Can I use a switch with a static IP address?

Our church has a static IP address from the supplied router. We have an ethernet cable that runs from the router to another part of the building where a main computer is. I need to have 2 more computers have access to the internet.
1) Can I use a switch to supply a connection to the other computers?
2) One of the 2 computers is in another building 200 feet away. Can I use direct burial Cat6 to run to the other building and run it off the switch?

If your Internet provider gave you a modem and Router combo and DHCP is turned on then yes you can use a switch to extend a connection to the other part of the building.

I would confirm your current computer is getting a 192.168.0.X address or some type of non-routable IP. If it has a public IP then its likely your provider only gave you a modem and you will need to add your own router. Hope this helps. Any local IT person (even a "computer nerd") from your church should be able to help you.

1) Usually, yes. most routers/gateways have a built in switch. Modems (Cable or DSL) typically dont though. But unless we know exactly how your churches ISP set things up and what equipment they use, there no way to really tell you for sure it would work.

2) As long as it high quality cable, you should be fine. The limit for gigabit ethernet over CAT 6 is 100M (328ft) port to port.

The Wifi/router supplied by the ISP (it's DSL) has 4 ports. Three are used for printers and other things and I think they are dynamic IP's. The fourth port is a static IP. When connecting our computer, we had to enter the IP address info and could not use "Obtain automatically". It's at this computer that we need to use a switch (I think) to supply internet connection to two other computers.
I guess we could add a third party router at the Wifi/router, enter the static IP address, then run ethernet cable to the main computer, then a switch for the other two.

From your questions and answers it really doesnt seem like you know much at all about networking. Rather than give advice on what type of equipment to buy and trust you to hook it up right, I really have to suggest you instead just hire an IT company to come in and set up your equipment properly and do the cable running for you. Otherwise you are risking all sorts of problems. Just do it right in the first place.

Back