Can I use a spare linksys wireless router as a bridge?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by newls1, Apr 24, 2007.

1. newls1

newls1 2[H]4U

Im moving my PC to our "bonus" room above the garage as it is alot colder in there then in my room. That room however has no phone line, so I can't connect my DSL modem, and CAT5 from the modem to my PC. Im my other room were using a BELKIN wireless ethernet bridge to have our internet and that works perfectly. I dont have the time to wait right now to order another one, but I do have 4 linksys wireless "G" routers in my closet, can I make this function as a bridge? Thanks

2. playrh8r

playrh8r Gawd

What are the specific models and revisions of the routers you have? Many WRT54gs can be loaded with open source firmware but some cannot. Using open source firmware will allow you to put the router in WDS mode, repeating the signal from the same network.

Jeff

3. newls1

newls1 2[H]4U

Jeff, all my spare routers are linksys wrt54gs models, can these do what you just said? REV # v2

4. playrh8r

playrh8r Gawd

http://digg.com/mods/Hack_Attack:_Turn_your_$60_router_into_a_$600_router

Jeff

5. playrh8r

playrh8r Gawd

6. Madwand

Madwand Gawd

Why spend money if there's a spare DD-WRT compatible router around? Look it up, follow the instructions for installing the firmware, set it up in client bridge mode, and you're done.