Can I use a POS Display with a Computer? To display System stats or winamp, etc

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I want to buy a POS Pole/Desktop Display mostly because I like the brightness of a VFD and the case it comes in, and because the characters will be easy to see from a distance (also I can find used ones very cheaply) So is there any programs (Like LCD Smartie) that will support an OPOS Interface display?
I was thinking on buying This
Thanks

Edit:
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just put in a bid for This
It says it emulates OPOS,Epson, Emax, Adex, and Ultimate
I get 5 of them for one bid. So if I can I will use two of them (One for my main box and one for my HTPC)
also since it does not come with a pole will a piece of PVC pipe work?
And it says 11-29 VDC so I will assume my 15.2 VDC Supply will work just fine?

Triple edit
I love these displays because the characters are a huge 9MM (Compared to 5MM of my old Matrix Orbital)
And it is 4 X 20 character or 80 Characters total
and I also like the fact that I can change the color of the display with just a simple color filter
any one know where to get parts for the IEE PDK series. it has a green filter and I want a blue one (To match the display on the rest of my Home theater gear)
Will IEE sell to a private party? (Me) or do I have to go through a business?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm interested in something like this as well, though I would use it for computer stats like how my G15 KB works.

Nice idea Format_C

Well, those are usually connected using a serial or parallel port, so you certainly could do it. However, since I've never heard of anyone using a POS display before, I doubt there is program support for it. That doesn't necessarily mean there *can't* be, but it would probably require some sort of plugin.

There are a few of applications and libraries which support COM/LPT displays. It is relatively easy to write one yourself too (even if you're on Windows).

Depends on the POS display.

If you're lucky, it's a HD44780-compatible display and will work with LCDdriver or whatever it's called.

If not, you might have to build a bit of interfacing circuitry, etc. to make the thing work. See if you can get your hands on a display, take it apart, and see what you find.

You could use a small lcd monitor and run it as a seccondary display.

It could have a pinout that only supports a limited serial connection: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pos1R1003449 but there is no way to know for sure.

I would recommend opening up one of them and taking some pics. Chances are, as noted above, if it has a 44780-compatible controller, there may just be a custom control board soldered to it which can be removed to provide a usable display.

Back