Can I uninstall Vista?

chargin

n00b
Ive lost my sound in XP and Im sure it was Vista. I have Vista on D, XP on C. How do I uninstall Vista?

1) Boot into Windows XP

2) Delete all the files in the partition where you installed Vista

3) Open the boot.ini file which is usually located in the C: partition

4) Notepad should open, delete everything in the notepad so it is empty.

5) paste the following into the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I just gave you the steps to un-install vista, or any other operating system by the way.

But I don't think it's vista which made your sound not work in XP, because these are 2 different operating systems, it can't affect XP. Maybe it's something else you did and you don't remember, try using System Restore first.

Im on Pro and my boot loader looks like this ..I guess Maximus is on home....

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Ahhh that might explain why I just hosed XP.... I had to go into repair console off xp cd and do a bootcfg /repair

Im also wondering how to delete the Vista windows folder, XP wont let me. Safe mode perhaps? And then Im worried about the bootcfg.exe

"The boot manager for Windows Vista runs first to determine which operating system to start. Therefore, if you want to boot to the older operating system, you must set the default order to the older operating system in the BCD store"

Meaning if I remove all of D drive, where I have Vista, will I still be able to boot?

Heres a funny problem...

I have just installed windows vista LB2... but my 320GB sata had only one partition on it and I wasnt paying attention during the install of vista and now vista and xp pro reside on the same partition.

It said something about it was goana move windows files, program files and some other stuff to a windows.old folder.

how would I go about getting rid of vista completely and getting xp pro back up without having to reformat and reinstall all of my stuff.

WOW WOW Ive fixed it, I went into bios and turned onboard sound from AUTO to Enabled... how crazy is that, its been on Auto for the whole of the time XP has been on this box, install vista and Auto no longer works, it needs to be on enabled now... Call me stupid but I blame vista (somehow)

Back