can i switch a fan to make it intake instead of exhaust?

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
i have an NZXT Tempest, and the top 2 140mm fans are exhaust fans. my case doesnt really seem to have lots of air flow. is it possible to just unscrew the top fans and flip it over so it will blow the opposite direction?

also, whats better; having high pressure airflow, or low pressure? because it seems that mine is low pressure (more air is going out than in).

Yes, you can, but I don't think it will be a good idea, as you will end up creating a short circuit of air flow, the air that comes in there will end up going straight to the closest exhaust without helping to remove much heat. As far as positive or negative pressure...You not going to see either in a case, to many holes everywhere to achieve either, however having more exhaust then intake will cause it to pull air in from every little hole and if you live in a dusty environment it can make for a pretty dirty case.

If it works with Silverstone with their Raven case then why wouldn't it work for you?

Can't you just flip it around and make it blow the other direction?

That's what I did with my Scythe Ultra Kaze Fans 120x38mm.

Research this on Google.
I think you're referring to using positive pressure cooling in your case.
It seems to work well with a number of cases.
The benefit to positive pressure is less dust. You're pushing the air out of all the little cracks and holes in the case instead of sucking in air and dust where there are no filters.
However your temps might go up a little. If you try it just keep an eye on your temps to see how well everything is being cooled.
Good luck.
Hugger

well, the basic purpose of flipping the fans to increase intake air was to decrease the temperature because i thought not enough air was being blown in and, therefore, not a lot of airflow.

so basically, more intake fans would have a less dusty case, but higher temps? if so, then i dont plan on flipping my fans because temps seem to be a higher priority than cleanness. i clean my case with a vacuum every once in a while so dust isnt too bad.

technically a positive pressure setup leads to a denser air distribution in your case, and thus a better heatsink-air heat transfer. The effect IMO is negligible, and none of this really matters in my book as long as airflow is directed correctly; across your heatsink and outside the case.

Front and rear fans are half blocked by that cheap restrictive stamped mesh so start by cutting those away.

And in worst case top fans might just draw air out before it has gone to components needing airflow so try without frontmost top fan. (just unplug cable)

And in worst case top fans might just draw air out before it has gone to components needing airflow so try without frontmost top fan. (just unplug cable)

ill try that. the top 140mm fan closer to the front seems to be sucking out the air that is suppose to be transferred through the cpu heatsink. i dont even feel any air coming out of the back 140mm fan at all, i i think its because the air is being sucked out by the 120mm rear fan. i dont know which to unplug though, the back 140mm or the front one.

Back