Can I still warranty my 970 ASUS video card, I removed heat sink?

eddie500

Gawd
My GTX 970 has always locked up when gaming if temps go above around 50-50C, if I put the fans on manually to 80% and keep the temps below 50C, it never locks up.

I recently removed the heat sink and damaged the sticker over the screw, but replacing the thermal paste didn't correct the problem.

Do you think I can still send this back to ASUS, or will they definitely deny warranty?

Card basically works as normal, just that it locks up randomly if I don't set fans at 80%+.

Thanks.

Legally you are safe (at least if in the US). However, Asus can find a way to say you damaged it.

Might be OK but why not RMA before taking off the heat sink?

The reason was because the card does work, it is just that I have to manually go in and turn the fans on to 80%. This keeps temps under 50C.

I didn't want to be without a video card for 3 weeks while I waited for warranty.

I decided to replace the thermal paste thinking it was an overheating problem but that didn't fix it. I then got the idea why not sell this for $200 on ebay and buy a 1070 gtx. I would then be able to warranty it before selling it.

I think I'll just live the the 970 at this point and turn the fans up. The 970 runs everything super fast.

Back