can i sleep with 5 tornados in my box?

i got a fan controller (aerogate II) but it only allows 1 amp MAX a channel. with 5 fans, that leaves 1 that cant be controlled unless i get another fan controller. In addition to that, the volt range is only 7v-12v which seems like most people are saying 7v is still loud at night.

i can probably sleep though 28dba or so cause thats whay my current fans are rated at and im still able to sleep with them running max.

Some people have been accused of fibbing on how loud these fans are. Since what you hear is subjective to what will get annoying. let me put this to rest.

I have 4 30 DB 120's and a Vantec 92 mm tornado on a PC Toys (Vantec, Read the specs) bay bus. The tornado is on a Swifttech MC-462+ with 80 to 92 adapter. The case does have sound mat in it. With the 120's on low and the tornado on high, I can hear the 56 DB rated tornado above the 12 amp dirt devil vac when my wife's cleaning. This is a full upright vacuum, not one of their little hand vacs.

On low, it's a slightly annoying buzz. But I can ignore that easily while watching TV 8 feet away. I can't hear anything else in my case except the cheep power supply. It's not as loud, just a different pitch.

Hope that puts it into perspective.

I used to run 7, yes, SEVEN 80mm tornados in my old x-dreamer. I'll admit, sleeping was quite the problem, until I discovered the trick to it. If you sleep on your side so one ear is plugged by your pillow, it's no problem at all to get to sleep with them on.

DarkMonkey said:
I used to run 7, yes, SEVEN 80mm tornados in my old x-dreamer. I'll admit, sleeping was quite the problem, until I discovered the trick to it. If you sleep on your side so one ear is plugged by your pillow, it's no problem at all to get to sleep with them on.

You're fucking INSANE

I used to have one Tornado on my CPU, and that alone sounded like a jet engine. I'm guessing it resonated inside the PC-70 it was in quite a bit, but still, that thing was truly a screamer

These are just the Case fans I have in my Stacker
1 x 120mm Tornado Front Upper Intake*
1 x 120mm Cooler Master Front HDD cooler Intake
1 x 120mm Cooler Master Exhaust
1 x 250mm Cooler Master Crossflow MB cooler Intake*
1 x 80mm Monster Mods Top Exhaust*
2 x 80mm Monster Mods Rear Exhaust*

*controled by my Aerogate 3

If I didn't have that Fan Controler the noise would be INSANE.
I found all I needed to do was drop the fans back by 2 volts tops and they run super quite. :D

Majin said:
These are just the Case fans I have in my Stacker
1 x 120mm Tornado Front Upper Intake*
*controled by my Aerogate 3

If I didn't have that Fan Controler the noise would be INSANE.
I found all I needed to do was drop the fans back by 2 volts tops and they run super quite. :D

Dude, theres no such thing as a 120mm tornados. If you mean a 120mm delta 220cfm job, i'd begin to be worried cause they pull 30w (2.5 amps) and your controller aint anywhere near specced for that. Only thing that comes close is the Vantec/Sunbeam rheobus that can handle 20w a channel. Your aerogates gonna fry.

That is possible I guess...
But it does put out 18W per line and I don't have any of the fans running on the full 12v's.

As long as I don't run all the Fans on full I feel strong that the Aerogate will be fine.

But now you have me thinking that I might want to get a different fan controler rated for more watts per line to deal with the watt-pig fans.

Can anyone recomend a good high wattage Fan controler.

FunkStar said:
Dude, theres no such thing as a 120mm tornados. If you mean a 120mm delta 220cfm job, i'd begin to be worried cause they pull 30w (2.5 amps) and your controller aint anywhere near specced for that. Only thing that comes close is the Vantec/Sunbeam rheobus that can handle 20w a channel. Your aerogates gonna fry.
The fan he is referring to is the one on the right in this picture
Pictures026.jpg

My friend just bought 2 of these for his new case which will arrive soon. I had it connected to my vantec NXP-205 and on low it seemd to work fine after i turned it up on high for a few minutes it killed the channel it was on.The most powerful fan controller i have found is THIS ONE. It can handle 20W on each channel but there are 2 fans per channel. Main good thing is it uses PWM.

soulsaver_8229 said:
still no pics of case with 7 tornados? maybe some video with sound :D

soulsaver_8229

Dude, that was like 5 months ago that I had it. I've since bought a lian-li and moved my server into my X-Dreamer. Had to sell the tornados to help pay for the lian-li ($120 is damn expensive for a case when you have no job) I'm currently running 5 Coolermaster L.E.D. fans in my Lian-Li, and I put the stock Lian-Li fans into the X-Dreamer. I might still have a video though. I'll look around sometime.

I would find someone nice in the electronics section to show you how to wire a custom one that will handle that beast. Then have the more "sane" fans on the Aerogate.

30W! 220cfm!

Thanks, I needed proof for my wife that my ideas aren't really that crazy at all! :D

I suppose you could leave that Delta on the Aerogate. Then you wouldn't have to paint flames on your case... :eek:

Back