can i sleep with 5 tornados in my box?

If i were to place 5 high-output vantec tornados in my box, do you guys think i could sleep if i left it on at night?

id have 2 80mm front intakes, 1 80mm back and 1 80mm top exhaust, and a 92mm on an xp-90. at 12 volts, exactly how loud are these fans? would i be able to sleep?

what if i were to control them with a fan controller. i got an aerogate II i could use to control them but it only supports 14 watts max a channel so i couldnt double up on some channels and therefore 1 fan wont be able to be controlled...

hahaha.....5??!?!?!1 1 is too much.

56 dba is about the equivilent of me having a medium-loud conversation with you.......constantly.....while sleeping. i don't know how to calculate dBA as in multiples but 5 is insane. If you're planning on sleeping with the computer on all night, i recommend no more than 30 dba fans. even that might be too loud. I shoot for <25 dba in my rig.

you may be ok with it, it depends on your thresholds...
however all of those screamers will not really give you a huge performance boost compared to big ole decent panaflos or papst....
also, why do you leave your pc on at night?
f

just get some decent nice quiet panaflows.

actually, I take that back, buy yourself some tornados AND some nice panaflows or similarly high quality + quiet fans (could go so far as getting some silenx fans). Now what you do is first you install the vacuu---ermm-- vantec tornados into your computer, play around with it for awhile, then install the quieter fans. Yes your temps may go down a bit, but I guarantee you that you will not put the tornados back in once you realize how much you value your hearing!

freddiepm61 said:
you may be ok with it, it depends on your thresholds...
however all of those screamers will not really give you a huge performance boost compared to big ole decent panaflos or papst....
also, why do you leave your pc on at night?
f

I leave my pc on at night for many reasons, downloads, I log IRC channels, I use my PC as a backup alarm, and I dont like to wait for it to boot up in the morning :p

use panaflo or papst. the difference between that and a tornadoe is like 30db, and 2 degrees at load.
f

can i sleep with 5 tornados in my box?

I guess some clarification is needed, when you say "could I sleep with it on"

Do you mean, could you sleep with it on if it is in the same house? The noise is one thing, but the air turbulance around the PC...my guess is you would be better off with something like this...

[H]ard Cooling

Please don't get Tornadoes. In a few months you will only come to loathe loud, obnoxious, and/or high-pitched noises emanating from your PC such as the Tornadoes will produce. Trust me on this. As others have stated the cooling gain from these fans versus that of well made quieter fans is marginal and in practice will net you no significant gain.

I can't really see much of any reason to use 5 freakin' Tornadoes all at once in one rig. The noise will be unbearable. That'll approach 100dB, good God...

That's like asking whether you can sleep with one rat gnawing on your leg, and another tasting your arm.

Some people can.

Like everyone else is saying, NO. I can understand 1 tornado on your cpu with a controller if you're going for insane overclocks, but that's still excessive IMO. 2x the noise does not equal 2x the cooling and is not worth it IMO. Your XP-90 will do just fine with a decent fan.

Tornados are NOT meant to be case fans! You don't need massive airflow in your case. As long as air is moving through at a decent rate, you're fine. Most people go for 1 120mm intake and 1 120mm exhaust. 40CFM is plenty.

You would have to be completely deaf to think you could sleep at night with 5 vantec tornado's running lol. I couldn't even stand to sit next to a PC during the day with more then 1 running. Even 1 tornado on a fan controller turned all the way down is still too loud for my taste. I prefer high speed Panaflo fans if i want performance while still being able to keep my sanity.

depends on how far you are from the computer. 3 or 4 rooms away with good insulation and thick doors should shield you from most of the noise of 5 Vornados.

Look into 120mm cooling solutions is possible. Sure they take up more real estate, but make MUCH less noise than a vornado with high CFM.

Well in my case I have 4 80mm tornado's and before I got the fan controller for them man was it loud. I could hear my fans before i entered the house. If you want to have tornado's get a vantec fan controller or 2 and put all of them on low. They still move an ungodly amount of air when spinning at around 3300RPM. As to wether you can sleep at night to it with them all on full blast, you can do it but it might take a while. When you have them on low the sound is entirely bareable and sleepable. My case is about 4 feet from my bed to give you an example.

Why not use a Fan Controller?
Let's say you put in 2 Tornados and 3 Panaflows in your case. Loud? Yup. But at night, you could slow down your Tornados to an acceptable level while you sleep and crank 'em back up during the day. Your Panaflows would keep a good ammount of air still moving around your case, and you wouldn't be shutting down the Tornados anyway. A Vantec controller shouldn't set you back more than 20$ or so now. Worse comes to worse, you could get some Sound Insulating material in your panels and seals on your fans if you're really serious about it, but it gets expensive fast. Good luck!

Tornados are bloody LOUD. I had 3 of the 80mm versions in a Lian-Li PC 75. When I had those fans on full tilt boogie (Had a rheostat that went to 11, heh), you could hear them at the end of the hall in my dorm complex, with my door CLOSED! Keep in mind, I lived at the dead end of the hall. Needless to say, my roommate threatened me with death numerous times. I finally just retired the case, and now use vantec stealths almost exclusively. They move a fair bit of air, but are dead quiet, which is what is now important to me.

-Ghent

alright. i guess the general consenus is no so therefor ill back down from that idea and go with some vantec stealth fans or medium-high power panaflos

hardwarephreak said:
Do you mean, could you sleep with it on if it is in the same house? The noise is one thing, but the air turbulance around the PC...my guess is you would be better off with something like this...

[H]ard Cooling

Someone please tell me this story is BS.

what's even better is the misinformation here. hehehe :cool:

2x the fans != 2x the noise :p

also, noise is a relative thing. most people can't deal with the noise a tornado puts out. could i sleep with one running in the same room? hell yes. helps to be hearing impaired though :p

hardwarephreak said:
I guess some clarification is needed, when you say "could I sleep with it on"

[H]ard Cooling
Oh god that is funny... seriously.... I needed that. Thanks.

And yes, I know it was tongue-in-cheek.

two times fan = two times the noise.
db is logarithmic, so 35 db is twice as loud as 34db...
also, two 35db fans makes 36db, therefore twice as loud!!!!!!!
f

freddiepm61 said:
two times fan = two times the noise.
db is logarithmic, so 35 db is twice as loud as 34db...
also, two 35db fans makes 36db, therefore twice as loud!!!!!!!
f

I've always thought the rating was a little different. Something like 3 dba difference is a 50% difference in noise.

MeanieMan said:
I've always thought the rating was a little different. Something like 3 dba difference is a 50% difference in noise.

yeah, i agree. I think it's 3 too.

And as to wether or not you can sleep with that many fans in your box....define box.

I use a tornado on my +2500 rig, and, uh, while it gets the job done with about any voltage I toss at it, in the end I chose to lower my overclock rather than deal with the WWWEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII the whole time. Even with a fanbus and it running at about 40% it still annoying.

*edit* 5? hahahah yeah right.

*edit*x2 With 5 tornados you might actually have to bolt the computer to the desk to prevent it from becoming airborn.

peterhoang2002 said:
If i were to place 5 high-output vantec tornados in my box, do you guys think i could sleep if i left it on at night?

id have 2 80mm front intakes, 1 80mm back and 1 80mm top exhaust, and a 92mm on an xp-90. at 12 volts, exactly how loud are these fans? would i be able to sleep?

what if i were to control them with a fan controller. i got an aerogate II i could use to control them but it only supports 14 watts max a channel so i couldnt double up on some channels and therefore 1 fan wont be able to be controlled...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!! 5 tornados running at full speed = insomnia.

I sleep in a room with 4 computers running 24/7. By most other people's standards it is LOUD in there, but I'm used to it.

I put a tornado on my heatsink in my main rig and laughed at how loud it is. It is as loud as a hair dryer. I had to hook it up to my Hard Cano and turn it almost all the way down for it to be barable. And I'm used to a lot of noise when I sleep.

I don't know about you guys, but I sleep with all my computers on at night. and here I am running an ass load of Masscool 80MM at max. If I can sleep with carpet blowers on at night, I can sleep with 3 PC's and a server running a bunch of fans at night.
but yeah, I think 5 tornados migth be like having a carpet blower right next to you.

seriously though you will be able to sleep because as you stay in that room with the fans at a constant speed your threshold for hearing them will change and eventually become use to the noise of the fans, its true i forgot the technical stuff because its the end of the year, but its psychology... :eek:

peterhoang2002 said:

Ive never heard how loud these things are...but im gonna say yes...the reason being is the fans will create a white noise...like static or a blank channel on a tv. White noise drowneds out all other noises and creates a noiseless situation basicly. Thats why sleeping with the tv on or a fan on in your room helps. I could sleep with them, but im a heavy sleeper and when i sleep i go to bed, i dont try to go to bed, im usually out within minutes of laying my head down no matter whats going on. So i would say yes.

Sam

peterhoang2002 said:

no...

Every increase of 3 dB is a doubling of noise level.

Say an average fan is 35 dB. That makes a 56dB tornado 7 times louder than your average fan.....

You should be able to sleep fine with 5 tornados running. It shouldn't take long for them to deafen you, and then sleeping will be no problem.

On a serious note, if you want to be sleeping look for SilenX fans. They make fans that run at 9db, 11db, and 14db. They push 15cfm, 21cfm, and 28cfm. Definately something to check out if you plan on sleeping near your pc.

Apollo686 said:
On a serious note, if you want to be sleeping look for SilenX fans. They make fans that run at 9db, 11db, and 14db. They push 15cfm, 21cfm, and 28cfm. Definately something to check out if you plan on sleeping near your pc.

I'd suggest googling for silentx lies. The noise ratings are way off and the business owner has been caught being deceptive on forums.

I'd suggest to try it and tell us. Cause i would like to know if a computer can make one go deaf.

MeanieMan said:
I'd suggest googling for silentx lies. The noise ratings are way off and the business owner has been caught being deceptive on forums.
QFT

i heard about that as well. the CFM and dBA of those fans are ridiculous. granted, they are quiet, but not anymore special than a cooler master or vantec fan.

Back