Can I "serve out" to eSATA using a ZFS backed system?

uOpt

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a solution to present on an eSATA port a block device that I back with a ZFS system of my choice?

Of course I am aware that eSATA would be block layer so I have to do file-in-filesystem, however ZFS already supports this when you serve out iSCSI. I would like to do the same thing but to eSATA.

Or maybe you can buy some form of hardware gizmo that has an Ethernet port and translates between eSATA and iSCS (both block layer).

Greetings

I'm not sure if I've got a rough idea of what you want to do so could this be a solution to what you want done, assuming you have 2 eSATA's then you get two 5 to 1 SATA port replicators like this or this that Backblaze use in their Storage pod version 3 and then just house up to 10 drives in an external case and create an array that way.

Or you can go their version 4 route and get the 40 port sata card they use and send SAS cables out to your external box and farm them out to the individual drives from there using the standard 1 to 4 cables.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There is a way to keep it a block device level, I currently do this to keep data moving as needed.

This seems like an XY problem.

Could you describe why you are trying to do this? It maybe that better alternatives exist, or describing the reason may help us better understand the the issue.

ATA-over-Ethernet allows you to present a virtual ATA device on a machine that is actually backed by a block device (real or virtual) elsewhere on the network, however based on your description I don't think that fits your use case.

Back