Can I sell my license?

jadams

2[H]4U
I'm about to buy a laptop. It comes with a Win7 license. I asked the manufacturer if I could purchase the laptop without the license to save a little $ as I already have a Win7 license. They said no...

Can either the license I'm using now, or the license that comes with the laptop be sold?

The license now is one I got through the student discount system. I'm thinking I cant sell the one that comes with the laptop as its probably OEM and must stay with the machine.

You can sell it if you give the physical code to the person and never use it again.

No that is an OEM license and can't even legally be used on any other computer but the laptop. You also can't use that key to try and activate windows on another computer, as it's an OEM key, not retail. Feel free to try, it will just say invalid key.

No that is an OEM license and can't even legally be used on any other computer but the laptop. You also can't use that key to try and activate windows on another computer, as it's an OEM key, not retail. Feel free to try, it will just say invalid key.

I figured that with the OEM key. What about my key I got through the student discount deal?

When the vendor sais "no", don't accept it, keep pushing for a refund.
Google around and you'll find plenty of people that did it and some that were so funny as to then give their refund to their favorite Linux distro as a donation.

I'm about to buy a laptop. It comes with a Win7 license. I asked the manufacturer if I could purchase the laptop without the license to save a little $ as I already have a Win7 license. They said no...

Can either the license I'm using now, or the license that comes with the laptop be sold?

The license now is one I got through the student discount system. I'm thinking I cant sell the one that comes with the laptop as its probably OEM and must stay with the machine.
Legally no you cannot sell the one that comes with the laptop. If the one you have now is Retail, it can be reactivated on another computer but I still don't know if legally you can sell it. Software licenses grant you the ability to use the software but you don't own it. Licenses typically do not grant you the ability to transfer the license to another person.

so .. your only option is to give that key away to someone who promises not to use the key on any other computer .. and .. I'm your man! ;)

Back