Can I run Dead Space?

bboynitrous

2[H]4U
With my specs in the sig, would Dead Space for PC be pretty playable, or would I just be better off getting it for my PS3?

I don't see why not... doesnt really seem like it would be all that demanding of a title. I'd assume that you're ok or if anything, might have to turn off AA and some eye candy

I would guess that it would run on that. It's run quite smoothly on everything I've tried it on. I just took a quick look around, and it looks like people are having good results with a 9600 GT. I've never seen it drop below sync with everything maxed. Remember to turn off VSync in the game, and force it through the driver if you do get it.

I just found this. Looks promising. I've never seen this site before, but I doubt it's too far off.

I would guess that it would run on that. It's run quite smoothly on everything I've tried it on. I just took a quick look around, and it looks like people are having good results with a 9600 GT. I've never seen it drop below sync with everything maxed. Remember to turn off VSync in the game, and force it through the driver if you do get it.

whats wrong with vsync in the game options vs gpu control panel? they do the same thing

Hmm.. alright maybe i'll pick it up. I figured I could save 20 bucks off the game through steam unless the computer would have a lot of framerate drops. Plus, I honestly hate playing shooters with a controller. How are the controls, the mouse specifically? Is it anything like Bioshock's weird feeling?

whats wrong with vsync in the game options vs gpu control panel? they do the same thing

The Vsync in-game is messed up. It creates massive lag for the mouse. If you turn it off, it works much better.

Hmm.. alright maybe i'll pick it up. I figured I could save 20 bucks off the game through steam unless the computer would have a lot of framerate drops. Plus, I honestly hate playing shooters with a controller. How are the controls, the mouse specifically? Is it anything like Bioshock's weird feeling?

On that same note: even with vsync off and the sensitivity all the way up, the mouse felt a little sluggish. I got used to it after a little while, and it is not a reason to skip this game. Oh, and the game ran great on my comp at 1920x1200.

With my specs in the sig, would Dead Space for PC be pretty playable, or would I just be better off getting it for my PS3?

It will be playable. My bro picked up Dead Space for the PC and it was (and looked from my perspective) pretty playable for him (to me as well) at 1440x900.
Pentium D 820 (I think it's slower than the Athlon X2 3800+)
Gigabte 945 motherboard.
2GB DDR2 667
160GB Hitachi SATA Drive
7900GS 256MB

So your system should be able to play Dead Space at pretty playable settings.

If you use mouse button 2 as forward and never W like me you will have a hard time enjoying this game. Between mouse lagorama, inability to remap keys, over the sholder view, and EAs totally fucking lame "bring the console experience to pc attitude" , made this my last EA purchase ever. If I wanted the "console experience" I would BUY A FUCKING CONSOLE EA!!!! Im sorry but EAs lack of PC friendliness pisses me off. :mad:

That CPU is bottlenecking your 9600gt, but you should be able to get a solid 25 - 30FPS out of it

That CPU is bottlenecking your 9600gt, but you should be able to get a solid 25 - 30FPS out of it
his cpu is not too much of a bottleneck for a 9600gt and certainly not an issue for Dead Space. heck any somewhat modern cpu and a wimpy 8600gt can run Dead Space on max settings at 1280 so his system could easily play it smoothly at 1680 or probably even 1920.

Bioshock was ok with a mouse, but Dead Space is MADE to be played with a controller. The mouse lag is even worse than Bioshock, even with Vsync forced on in Windows and disabled in the game menu (so that it is synced at the monitor refresh instead of 30fps).

Well, judging from your specs, I think you should be able to play smoothly at 1680x1050 (at least 40fps sustained) with maximum in-game settings. You could try 1920x1200, but I strongly recommend turning off anti-aliasing, which is actually deferred AA that blurs the whole thing instead of only smoothing the edges. It also incurs like 2-4 fps hit. With my 8800GTX, I was able to play smoothly at 2560x1600 at maxed-out settings, so you should be able to do fine with yours at 1920x1200, I guess.

BUT... BUT..... if you have a large TV for your PS3, like a 40" screen, I'd recommend it over the PC hands-down!!! It's better to sit back on the couch and play it that way. The PS3 colors are darker and deeper, and gives a fuller scale than the PC version which is based on the Xbox360 version. Also, the controls (using Xbox360 controller) on the PC are more jerky, due to a much bigger deadzone for aiming than with PS3/Xbox360 consoles. I guess EA just wanted to make sure that the deadzone was big enough for all the different PC controllers so that we wouldnt complain if one of our controllers just wouldnt work right.

Plus it's better to play far away from the screen than up-close, due to an extremely narrow FOV (field of view). Bioshock had the same problem, but patch v1.1 fixed this problem by giving you an option for a wider FOV.

Furthermore, the PS3/Xbox360 versions have additional downloadable content for the game, like improved weapons and armor suits that can be bought for a couple bucks or with some points. The PC version has nothing like that so far.

P.S.-- Why not overclock your CPU a little bit more? Although Dead Space should do fine since it uses both cores well, your Toledo core should be able to do at least 2.6 GHz with average cooler, at like 1.4v or so. The HTT can be increased to 260, but the memory divided using the 5:6 ratio if it's supported in your motherboard BIOS.... maybe I'm wrong and your mobo doesnt support this ratio.

Bioshock was ok with a mouse, but Dead Space is MADE to be played with a controller. The mouse lag is even worse than Bioshock, even with Vsync forced on in Windows and disabled in the game menu (so that it is synced at the monitor refresh instead of 30fps).

<snip>
I think it felt just fine with mouse and keyboard and certainly much bettter than pre patch Bioshock. I played Dead Space with the controller for a few minutes and went right back to mouse and keyboard as it felt much better that way.

his cpu is not too much of a bottleneck for a 9600gt and certainly not an issue for Dead Space. heck any somewhat modern cpu and a wimpy 8600gt can run Dead Space on max settings at 1280 so his system could easily play it smoothly at 1680 or probably even 1920.

awesome. I only have a 19" LCD running at 1280x1024 so that's all I am looking for honestly.

Well, judging from your specs, I think you should be able to play smoothly at 1680x1050 (at least 40fps sustained) with maximum in-game settings. You could try 1920x1200, but I strongly recommend turning off anti-aliasing, which is actually deferred AA that blurs the whole thing instead of only smoothing the edges. It also incurs like 2-4 fps hit. With my 8800GTX, I was able to play smoothly at 2560x1600 at maxed-out settings, so you should be able to do fine with yours at 1920x1200, I guess.

BUT... BUT..... if you have a large TV for your PS3, like a 40" screen, I'd recommend it over the PC hands-down!!! It's better to sit back on the couch and play it that way. The PS3 colors are darker and deeper, and gives a fuller scale than the PC version which is based on the Xbox360 version. Also, the controls (using Xbox360 controller) on the PC are more jerky, due to a much bigger deadzone for aiming than with PS3/Xbox360 consoles. I guess EA just wanted to make sure that the deadzone was big enough for all the different PC controllers so that we wouldnt complain if one of our controllers just wouldnt work right.

Plus it's better to play far away from the screen than up-close, due to an extremely narrow FOV (field of view). Bioshock had the same problem, but patch v1.1 fixed this problem by giving you an option for a wider FOV.

Furthermore, the PS3/Xbox360 versions have additional downloadable content for the game, like improved weapons and armor suits that can be bought for a couple bucks or with some points. The PC version has nothing like that so far.

P.S.-- Why not overclock your CPU a little bit more? Although Dead Space should do fine since it uses both cores well, your Toledo core should be able to do at least 2.6 GHz with average cooler, at like 1.4v or so. The HTT can be increased to 260, but the memory divided using the 5:6 ratio if it's supported in your motherboard BIOS.... maybe I'm wrong and your mobo doesnt support this ratio.

I've got this sucker up to 2.9GHz stable on air but hte temps get a bit up there so I backed it down a bit. I might o/c more to play the game but we'll see.

Vsync inherently causes mouse lag in all games, if you don't want mouse lag you should force Vsync OFF in both the game and in the graphics control panel, syncing at 30fps is worse than 60 but all 1st/3rd person games suffer badly from mouse lag at both these refresh rates.

Bioshock had the added problem of mouse acceleration which is a seperate issue which made it very uncomfortable to play.

Dead Space is not that demanding, It played easily at 60+FPS with my setup and SLI 7800GT's @ 1280x1024. Now with a GTX260 It will play at 1600x1200 over 90+FPS. The CPU isn't a hangup here.

The resolution was more limitation of my 21" CRT monitor than the videocards for the resolutions hence while I still only game upto 1600x1200.

Dead Space is not that demanding, It played easily at 60+FPS with my setup and SLI 7800GT's @ 1280x1024. Now with a GTX260 It will play at 1600x1200 over 90+FPS. The CPU isn't a hangup here.

The resolution was more limitation of my 21" CRT monitor than the videocards for the resolutions hence while I still only game upto 1600x1200.
a gtx260 with an X2 at 2.6? you would get so much more performance out of your card in modern games if you had a better cpu. that cpu is literally killing about 30% of your performance in some modern games.;)

getting back on topic yeah Dead Space is not demanding and pretty much any decent pc can play it.

Vsync inherently causes mouse lag in all games, if you don't want mouse lag you should force Vsync OFF in both the game and in the graphics control panel, syncing at 30fps is worse than 60 but all 1st/3rd person games suffer badly from mouse lag at both these refresh rates.

Bioshock had the added problem of mouse acceleration which is a seperate issue which made it very uncomfortable to play.

Vsync can but you can fix that by turning the prerendered frames to zero instead of three. It's an option in the nvidia drivers.

ahh yeah you're right, that's the one when it's off. I'm sorry, I was mistaken. And actually yes it can have an effect while it's off if I remember correctly.

ahh yeah you're right, that's the one when it's off. I'm sorry, I was mistaken. And actually yes it can have an effect while it's off.
you might be thinking of triple buffering. triple buffering from the standard nvidia or ati control panel doesnt do anything in directx games though. you have to actually use a third party app like rivatuner or dx tweaker to make triple buffering work in directx games.

I think it felt just fine with mouse and keyboard and certainly much bettter than pre patch Bioshock. I played Dead Space with the controller for a few minutes and went right back to mouse and keyboard as it felt much better that way.

Well, with a controller, you can sit farther back, since the extremely NARROW F.O.V. can cause a nauseating feeling especially if you have a 24" monitor up close--the FOV only makes sense with smaller monitors or with large TV's viewed from several feet away.

Plus the game is in third-person perspective (whereas Bioshock is a first-person shooter). All of the controller functions are better suited for the controller, rather than having to find all of those buttons on your keyboard when playing in the dark. The mouse speed feels skewed with the tweaked vertical Y-axis look being like 1/3 of the horizontal speed. Using a controller doesnt irk me in the same way as it does with using the mouse. And the game is way too easy, even at impossible mode, using the mouse if you increase the mouse speed past what is intended with normal controller usage.

A 19" monitor is rather small, so if you've gotten a 32" HDTV or bigger, I'd recommend the PS3 version over the PC version.

Well, with a controller, you can sit farther back, since the extremely NARROW F.O.V. can cause a nauseating feeling especially if you have a 24" monitor up close--the FOV only makes sense with smaller monitors or with large TV's viewed from several feet away.

Plus the game is in third-person perspective (whereas Bioshock is a first-person shooter). All of the controller functions are better suited for the controller, rather than having to find all of those buttons on your keyboard when playing in the dark. The mouse speed feels skewed with the tweaked vertical Y-axis look being like 1/3 of the horizontal speed. Using a controller doesnt irk me in the same way as it does with using the mouse. And the game is way too easy, even at impossible mode, using the mouse if you increase the mouse speed past what is intended with normal controller usage.

A 19" monitor is rather small, so if you've gotten a 32" HDTV or bigger, I'd recommend the PS3 version over the PC version.
well I dont like controllers in general and in fact I returned it after trying to play a few different games on it. Im sure people that are used to consoles or just like controllers would have no issues using one though. Dead Space was a little nauseating at some points when I was playing on my 4:3 crt screen but was much more natural feeling on a widescreen monitor. I feel sorry for anybody that played it on a 1280x1024 5:4 screen because that would have made me dizzy. :eek:

For me, if I play on a controller with supported vibration feature, like Lost Planet or Devil May Cry 4 and then try to go back to using the mouse/keyboard, I feel like there's something missing. The controller's rumble function just adds so much immersion into the game.

For most games, I'm happy with keyboard/mouse, but sometimes I need a break from my mouse, so that I can relax and sit back more.

lol that's what I have my PS3 for Fox. Sometimes you just want to sit back and relax with the controller and not sit in front of the damn kb and mouse man.

x1650
P4 2.8
1.4gb ram

can I run this game at all?? :(

Dead Space
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: EA Redwood Shores

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz or Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 7 GB Free
Video Memory: 256MB (nVidia GeForce 6800/ATI Radeon X1600 Pro (Shader 3.0 support)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Just barely, but probably not gonna be very good gameplay

Dead Space
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: EA Redwood Shores

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz or Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 7 GB Free
Video Memory: 256MB (nVidia GeForce 6800/ATI Radeon X1600 Pro (Shader 3.0 support)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Just barely, but probably not gonna be very good gameplay

According to everything I've seen so far, this isn't true. (the "just barely" comment) The OPs system should be more than adequate for this game.

According to everything I've seen so far, this isn't true. (the "just barely" comment) The OPs system should be more than adequate for this game.
either you are confused or I am. his just barely comment was a direct reply to the guy with a P4 system that just meets the requirements so yeah what he said is true. :confused:

Back