Can I run an 8 core cpu with a qu fanless cooler?

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
Im in a jam here guys...

I have a Supermicro X8STI-F board and an Norco RPC-430 case.

I cant fit my cpu cooler which has a fan on it in the case...

Is it possible to run without a fan? Please note the 430 has NO air intake fans, just two 80mm on back.

Depends on the CPU. I've found that even CPUs with modest TDPs need some combination of a large chunk of metal, lots of widely spaced fins, and a reasonable amount of airflow to effectively run passive.

check again, because that's an 4 core/8 threads 60W CPU

To further elaborate, I did a brief test running a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on top of a Core i3 6100 (51W) with no fans on it. This was in a Fractal Design Define S, with one 1000 RPM 140mm fan pulling air out the back. Running pretty much any kind of CPU stress test resulted in temps shooting straight past 80C, no good. I repeated the same test with a 1500 RPM 140mm silverstone penetrator fan (moves air in a relatively straight path) mounted in line with the Evo. This time temps stayed in check at around 65-70C.

My point: Even passively operating heatsinks need directed airflow to work. YMMV.

The only real chance of making it work is to drastically underclock the CPU. Undervolting will also certainly be required if you are underclocking to try and achieve something like that. Use the largest heatsink u can find that'll fit...

Just get a new case, something thats bigger with more room. Not a big deal really.?

I'm no pro, but I can't image going fanless. Sure, you can try.

Just FYI for everyone that doesn't know, the Norco RPC-430 is a 4U Rackmount chassis.

probably not. you need some type of air flow or upgrade to one of those massive passives! can I ask why no fans?

As stated, the rpc-430 has no front fans or places to put any. And the issue Im having is that my motherboards cpu socket is just a little too far over to mount anything taller than a 1u cpu cooler to it. It really sucks but I need this case because its short depth for my rack, and I need to put at least 6-7 drives in it.

Is there a noise requirement? 1U coolers with fans do exist, they're just usually pretty loud.

so youre not trying to build a fan-less setup?
youre going to have to change your heat sink. look in the SFF forum for low-pro but good fans. maybe look at id-cooling too. the have a few options that will work with what you have and they have good TDPs but I haven't seen any reviews yet...

I double checked low profile cooler options. If you can fit anything under 2U, there are a pretty reasonable amount of options.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

If it's a strict 1U limitation (29mm height), you might be able to get a Zalman CNPS2X to fit. It doesn't list official support for LGA 1366, but it fits the thermal requirement and the heatsink mounting brackets do have the correct holes for LGA 1366. My only reservation is that the backplate that comes with the cooler probably won't fit on the board, in which case you'll have to get creative with the mounting.

Back