Can I run a AMD Athlon 6400+ Black edition in a Dell 531s?

robertigoe

n00b
I have a Dell 531s, and I am lookng at a number of possible upgrades. I know the processor can be upgraded. I believe the limit is a AMD 64 x2 6000+ ... .

Is there any reason I can't use a 6400+ ?

Is it just heat? Or power? Or a little bit of both...? Or...

R.I.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
probably not.. the 6400+ is a 125w(the rating is actually lower then what it really uses) chip and i highly doubt the motherboard has the VRM's capable of handling the processor. that and there's no point in getting it.. if you can find a 6000+ brisbane cpu and the board supports it get that. way better processor and runs much cooler.

good luck, I been looking for that CPU for two months

good luck, I been looking for that CPU for two months
I doubt he's going to do any overclocking with that system so the 3.1 GHz Brisbane won't be much slower than the 6400+ anyway. It depends on what he already has whether it's worth the ~$50 on Ebay.

I doubt he's going to do any overclocking with that system so the 3.1 GHz Brisbane won't be much slower than the 6400+ anyway. It depends on what he already has whether it's worth the ~$50 on Ebay.

actually i found the brisbanes to be all around better than the windsor cores. i had a 6400+ and a brisbane x2 BE-2150 overclocked to 3Ghz and honestly never used the 6400+ again after that. even with the L2 cache halved the 2150 just felt smoother compared to the 6400+ in games. also the fact that it ran at 50C full load on the stock cooler and a whopping 89w compared to the 6400+ @ 60C full load and 125w, it was pretty nice.

@DedEmbryonicCe11 ...thanks for the help (the Dell link). That's exactly what I was looking for...

... it seems that they are responding to the fact that the stock power is too low, and the heat sink can't take it, but that's exactly what I'm planning... more power and coolers everywhere, plus a massive, or improved, CPU cooling device, ...a new "ice age." Heat sinks, too... fans... .

What can I cool on the mother board? Are there key points there? Any help, or suggestions, would be appreciated. This is my first build, so... I'm going as far as I can without ripping the mother board out, and trying again... .

I'm thinking of buying a fridge... or dedicated AC... . I just needed to know if it was the architecture (or socket) that would not be supported. I hope the RAM helps. If any body knows of a way to fit more RAM in... .

Or... .

Thanks.

I think i have a old 6000+ laying around some where you can have.I have just got to find it.

@DrDoU

Gee, thanks. I have a limited income, but plenty of time (on my hands), so I'm trying to make the most of it. That would definitely help.

R.I.

Oh, if this helps... I'm starting with a stock 3G Dell Inspiron 531s... and I'm going for this: a 400 watt power upgrade for mother board / cpu power supply, a possible 450 watt dedicated graphics power supply (taking some pressure off the 400 watt main psu) (mounted in cd/dvd port, I'm trying to keep this small, all in case at first, and I'll look into an external Blue Ray CD / DVD), a HD 6670 video card (to start), AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ BE / 5600+ BE / 6000+ / and a 6400+ BE... a couple of them in fact, I'm working on some other builds... (in my head)... 2 AMD original equipment heat sinks one for the 6000+/6400+ and one for the other two AMD processors... heat sinks on every thing I can put them on and enough fans to make a tornado. Maybe some Dry Ice (or AC or Fridge) to cool them. (I have liquid nitrogen planned for another project...). And...

There are a couple of CPU coolers / heat sinks I wanted to try... I'm trying to narrow the field.

Finally, I'm planning to add an AMD Tesla C1060... but by then I'm going to have to come up with a better graphics solution because that's for computing and wont power a monitor. It takes two slots, and I'm not sure if there is a solution other then reversion to the invbedded video graphics, which though poor, should run alright with that much *&^% driving the computational stuff...

I didn't address the sound, because i haven't researched that enough to come up with a definite course. I'm in favor of external digital to analog converters and am looking at some powered speakers. (In reality the little Bose will do.) I may want to work more (on that) on on a second build...

... a independent readout with dials and gauges for temperature, CPU usage, etc... not based on down loaded software... (I gotta find a way to attach it, might fabricate a new face plate, and directed wind channels for case)...

Whoa. I better stop... or at least slow down. I said I'm ambitious in this build, right?

That's the main stuff... first stage.

By the way, can you add 3.0 USBs to a mother board that only has 2.0? This will probably take all year to build, so I am anticipating disappointment on occasion. But hey, better complete the bucket list first, then worry about saving...

The 6000+ would help immensely.

Thanks.

R.I.

P.S.: I hope I did not veer off topic. I'm trying to obey the rules...

Last edited:
... A Scythe Godhand / Susanoo... with a copper pan with a magnesium wall... and a silver core with a magnesium cup and shroud... to cool the air on top... with "coolant...". I don't want to pour nitrogen directly onto the cpu... just to drive the air passing through the heat sink into overdrive. And a shroud for the case...directing the airflow... trapping the cold air directing it along paths through the heat sink assemblies... before the heated air out through fans on the exhaust vents...

I might need external power for that... the fans... .

Would that be enough to lower the case temperature for the 6400+ to operate properly? Or will i need to daisy chain more power? Amy one kmow what that would do to the circuit board? If i keep it cool (enough)?

Okay, so I do have a plan for this... .

Do I need power conditioners? Back up generators? You name it...

Like I said, bucket list first... saving,second.

Wait till I get to the cloud part...

AMBITION. This is an ambitious build. Wish me luck.

R.I.

the 6400 will run but will run hotter. The most important part is to add extra cooling to your motherboards vrm's (located next to cpu socket usually). Whack a heatsink on those or an extra couple of fans and enjoy :)

You will also need to overclock your memory since the multiplier the 6400 uses causes memory to run below rated speed.

Best of luck :D

You can use old laptop chargers to power extra fans saving undue load on psu. I find 80mm and 120mm fans move a shitload of air if run between 14v and 19v yet barley make much more noise.

They're so powerful infact the experts here can't even calculate the CFM they put out! :D

Thanks for the tip(s) everybody. (I especially needed that info on the RAM and VRMs, thanks THOMO..., that fits nicely into what I've been able to gather about this chip- and so should be essential to getting it done the right way.)

And the fans... laptop chargers... .

R.I.

I'm interested to know what your CPU pot will look like from what your describing this project will involve. A 'likewise' project I did few years ago shooting for 5Ghz on a Northwood 3.2, I can say that if your going for a custom pot get one custom milled out of copper which will be much cheaper then those nice looking Kingpin pots and perform similar.

Correct me if I'm wrong but will you be running this rig continuously? Or just benchies? If so, how do you have a constant supply of L2N?

Also so, if you will be pouring L2N straight into the pot, make sure you have absorbent foam insulated around the CPU circutry area, oh yeah, use nail polish to cover resistors from the NB area to the CPU that works with the VRM's and seal the bottom gaps of any cap's, you don't want a cold frost build-up within those caps, otherwise your going to run into problems that won't be pretty.

@ Matthew Cane

The idea was to be able to run continuously without overclocking. The nitrogen was only for special events. I have a design the pot, it's actually more like a copper pan for better surface area with magnesium walls that narrow to the pour...

I'm thinking an inverted / reverse heat sink to super cool the air being drawn into the conventional heat sink assembly. The nitrogen, it's like a counterpoint to the CPU. Just really strong direct air conditioning being drawn into the case and fed through fans through the assembly.

Maybe I should draw a picture... . Is there a way to post pictures? Yeah. I guess there would be. Let me get back...

Okay, I know this looks like crap; (I drew it in about five minutes with my mouse). It's just the main idea:

0bymr29skjx

I don't know if you have to log in, or what... can I just download a jpeg?

BTW every body: It's been a while. Thanks for all the help. Start up phase is through...

The build so far:

New AsRock N68C-GS FX motherboard... powered by 400 watt KDM-MFXS9400C... in support of AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ CPU... Asus Arctic Square Cooler... 2G (2 x1G) OCZ Reaper memory modules (should have got 4G (2 x2G) for this board; I thought I'd have the original motherboard, which would have supported the four sticks of one (4 x1) G... but I downloaded a new BIOS, and it died... no power... not sure what happened... kind of worked out since the new motherboard seems like it can handle heat... runs about 40C, so far not gone much above 50 or so degrees... just one or two times... )... umm... and assorted upgrades including operating system.

It runs like a clock.

(Say, as an aside... the memory is running at 266Mhz... is that normal? The sticks are rated to 800mhz...)

...More. I'll let you know as it goes.

Thanks...

You need to either overclock your cpus fsb or choose a higher memory divider with that cpu to have memory running at rated speed. See my post above.

Say every body, just thought I'd update a few things:

Since I first posted I have made numerous upgrades, and have this PC running like it's meant to run. what fun! I can't say that everything has gone well if that must mean as expected... unless you mean that I did say I couldn't really count on anything being just as expected... or any thing... so... uh.

Okay. I just accidently changed my configuration, and am having some trouble swapping the CPU back to the Athlon 64 x2 6400+ I was running...

But I do have a Phenom II x4 965 Deneb presently installed, and it's running fine. I believe that the bios or drivers have changed (I was prompted about the configuration) to include the 8GB (2x4GB) of GeIL Enhance EVO Corsa DDR3-2000 PC-16,000 CL 9 9 9 28 memory I'm running "her" on...

The Athlon build worked out well. I had to change motherboards, due to a BIOS update going wrong. The new "hybrid" motherboard works well with AM2/AM2+/AM3 and AM3+ processors all supported, with DDR2, or DDR3 memory. After tooling around with 2GBs (2 x1GB) the OCZ Reaper and Flex memory... I added some Mushkin 991593 (996593) memory. 4GB (2 x2GB). I was impressed, so I bought two more sets.. one got lost in mail... but I have potential 8GB of Mushkin Redline now... only two slots, so 4GB... .

This enabled me to upgrade my operating system from my original Win 8 Pro 32 bit upgrade to Win 8 Pro 64 bit OS... and wow! Hurrah! I'm free at last... thank God almighty, I'm free at last...

I'm not sure if I did the right thing keeping the Phenom 965, in or okaying th3e configuration change, although that processor probably required it. It scores over 4336 on PassMark. Not bad for it's kind...

The Athlon consistently scored above 2000 once I got the new OS and memory installed. Before that it was around / just over 1400... .

My original Pass Mark Rating was less than impressive 795.4 after the first few runs. It improved over the next few months and progressed through 822.8 to 846.4... to...

Finally I got it to bench over 1000 at 1005... but I lost the file... so, you'll have to take my word for it. I finally posted this benchmark: 1010... PassMark ID: #74188. The processor scored 2075 which is above the average for this processor.

Okay. I've got more but I'm tired. Does any one know how to reset the configuration for DDR2???

The Phenom 965 runs well... but I was used to the performance of the Athlon... which is a little better at the top. The Phenom likes to sit on things... it does not like the operator to move as much. It runs applications (processes) okay... but tends to be bottom heavy. Once it has an application under way it runs... and you can switch things with in the application... but it does not like to move around as much. Any suggestions?

I'm logging out.

Back