Can I route my network through a virtual NIC?

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to set up a virtual machine, and install untangle on it. Then, I want to remove the drivers for my integrated interface within windows, and route strictly through the virtual NIC that the VM installs. The VM would have drivers to the physical interface, but windows would not.

Thus, my windows install would have no internet access except through my VM. And, I'd install untangle on the VM.

Can this be done?

Is this hosted VM software (like vmware workstation)? vmware would need the NIC working on the host, virtual NICs route through the physical. Even for USB you need host USB drivers at least, to be able to route them to a VM and then using a concrete USB device driver within a VM to use the device.
If you want a VM to have internet, your internet should "arrive" at your physical NIC in the host. I guess you can use firewall configurations to achieve something similar to what I think you aim for.
What's your goal after all?

Is this hosted VM software (like vmware workstation)? vmware would need the NIC working on the host, virtual NICs route through the physical. Even for USB you need host USB drivers at least, to be able to route them to a VM and then using a concrete USB device driver within a VM to use the device.
If you want a VM to have internet, your internet should "arrive" at your physical NIC in the host. I guess you can use firewall configurations to achieve something similar to what I think you aim for.
What's your goal after all?

My goal is to create a hard disconnect between my windows install and the internet, forcing it to route through untangle, the IPS (for security).
I could achieve this by installing a dual port NIC, and connecting a wire from my integrated interface to the NIC, but I'd prefer a less invasive method.

Can you PCI passthrough your existing NIC to the VM? Then have a virtual NIC connecting the VM and the host (that part is relatively simple; vmware calls it 'host only networking')

Alternatively, you would still have host drivers, but you could disable tcp/ip on the real NIC, configure it as a bridge network between that nic and the VM. Software on the host with the right privileges could still use the NIC at that point, but internet traffic would flow through the VM.

Set up a Windows domain controller virtual machine and then on the router point the DNS to the domain controller's IP address.

Save the burden and just use another hardware to host untangle. Unless you want to play with the setup for educational purposes (the only sensible reason).
I'm not sure if you can pci passthrough the builtin NIC to the VM with Workstation.

Back