can i reuse the thermal pad under my video card?

etegv

Limp Gawd
i have a ref r9 290 that gets hot during gaming. I bought a GElid VRM kit for the card but for some reason a piece of the included tape is not sticky on both sides. How can i mount my vrm heatsink if one side is sticky? Can I use the pads that were under the stock heatsink? My only concern is the thickeness as they are thicker than the ones that came with the gelid

thanks

How are you planning on using the Gelid VRM kit with the stock cooler?
The thermal pad/tape should be sticky on both sides, check for plastic on the non-sticky side.

i bought the g10 kit with a h55

it seems like this guy had the same problem?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042

Weirdly, the thermal pads for the VRM2 weren't double sided, so I don't really know how that was supposed to work.

I stuck some tiny ones I had on the VRM2 instead. Couldn't hurt.

And it came with 1 RAM heatsink, which is totally useless, obviously. VRAM doesn't overheat, let's be honest. Not a big deal. VRM's on the other hand...

he has a problem with vrm2 while my problem lies with vrm1. Apparently it comes with a heatsink/pad for a VRAM. Just one heatsink for a VRAM. Can i just neglect the VRAM and use that pad for the VRM?

thanks

i bought the g10 kit with a h55

it seems like this guy had the same problem?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042

he has a problem with vrm2 while my problem lies with vrm1. Apparently it comes with a heatsink/pad for a VRAM. Just one heatsink for a VRAM. Can i just neglect the VRAM and use that pad for the VRM?

thanks

Oh ok, that is a nice kit.

As far as the VRM, the main line of VRMs the heatsink has some screws for it, so that shouldn't matter how sticky the thermal pad/tape is.

For the VRM2, I would use the supplied VRAM thermal pad/tape and cut it down to size.
You can definitely leave the VRAM naked.

Last edited:
that ram sink is not useless, its for the one chip on the bottom that doesnt clear most blocks.

The tape has to be sticky on both sides.

If its not completely clear (see though) like scotch tape, you didnt get the backing off one side.

Its a giant pain to peel those things, believe me.

are you sure it's just one side? I just installed this kit and the tape for the little VRM T shaped heatsink is VERY thin. The backing was thicker than the thermal double sided tape was.

What type of heatsink/cooling are you installing in place of the reference cooler?

Back