Can I remove the bezel?

The1stCAV

[H]ard|Gawd
I am running three 24" Asus monitors and a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition that spans my 3 monitors. I love the 5040 part, hate the 1050 drop in height - however the one thing that pisses me off more than anything is the bezel. When the monitors are end to end, I have a 1" gap between them of black bezel. I have never taken a Monitor apart before, so I have no idea how the edges of these LCD's work (this may be my reason to do so).

My question is simply, can I cut the end parts off the bezel and stick these end to end to make a semi-seamless view? It appears that if I did a nice cut on the left monitor on the top right and bottom right of the monitor and basically pulled that end off the monitor, took both ends of fthe middle and the left side off the right monitor, I think these would fit together better - I am just unsure of the tech behind the bezel and if I am going to mess it all up.

Does anyone have any history with doing things like this? Is it possible? Should I give up, not ghetto the monitors and live with the 1 inch thick bezel?

Here is what I am dealing with:

This is what I would like to do:

Photoshop is much easier I know - but still, is it possible to remove the edges of the bezels and make it look basically like what I want to do?

Last edited:
The bezel isn't just dead space, there are parts of the LCD that are under the plastic ;) -- best way to find out if it's possible with that particular monitor is to take the bezel off and see how much room you have to work with.

One thing to note, you can bend certain components of LCD edges as well, but you had better be prepared to accidentally brick some of them in the process. If you can't withstand that, then it's not worth it :)

Believe me, I share your pain with my 3 asus's (portrait)... I might be doing some deconstruction here shortly, too!

Short answer to your last question is no, because it wouldn't look anything like that photochop.

The most you'll shave off those particular bezels is about 1/3 of it's current thickness, if you're lucky. But it would have to be stripped all the way around and not just the sides, leaving all sorts of stuff exposed front and back.

And that's if it doesn't require open heart surgery to accomplish ;)

Short answer to your last question is no, because it wouldn't look anything like that photochop.

The most you'll shave off those particular bezels is about 1/3 of it's current thickness, if you're lucky. But it would have to be stripped all the way around and not just the sides, leaving all sorts of stuff exposed front and back.

And that's if it doesn't require open heart surgery to accomplish ;)

Good LOL !!!!

you could at least overlap the bezels as is and save an inch on each seam

i wonder if removing the bezel might not loosen the pressure on the screen and cause backlight bleed to a terrible degree?

you could at least overlap the bezels as is and save an inch on each seam

i wonder if removing the bezel might not loosen the pressure on the screen and cause backlight bleed to a terrible degree?

Last time I pulled a bezel was to fix a light bleed problem. I agree with you, it would probably cause more problems than it would be worth.

With LCD panels the sides contain functional components, which the bezel protects. You'd need an OLED screen or similar to get around the bezel problem.

Thanks for the input it is much appreciated - so I live with the bezel or go buy monitors without them, but either way these stay as-is. THough it sucks in a way, I guess you tAke the good with the bad and keep on rolling - thanks again, much appreciated.

I had three Dell 2007FPs that I removed the bezels on and I found it to be a nice modification. However, I wanted more screen so I have moved on to three Dell U2410, but I don't think that I will take the bezels off the 2410s as they are much more expensive and under warranty.

Heres pics of my 2007FP before and after bezel removal.

BEFORE:
010720109914.jpg

120720098692.jpg

120720098691.jpg

AFTER:
0306201012723.jpg

0306201012710.jpg

0305201012705.jpg

0306201012719.jpg

0306201012722.jpg

You guys might want to wait until 5 yrs later then they have all these oval shape monitor inside of putting 3 in one.

Just look at the example of the command center on the Avatar movie to get the idea.

5 years? really? i think your a little far on that. "oval" shaped would never be good for one, because text would just be a headache... but as far as screen to screen with no bezel? that can already be done... if you take apart lcds passed the bezel AND the housing.. youll find that alot of lcds only have electronics on one or two sides... so you could easily strip monitors and rehouse them in a manner that was bezel to bezel... and i'm suprised nobody has... or maybe they have? lol... heres an example of what i mean:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RaUtOWz7uyg/SgfEPQZuEhI/AAAAAAAAAGw/W4OenWdeWzM/s400/IMG_2399.JPG

currently people i've seen all strip their monitors for use as a DIY projector.. (thats why i stripped mine), but why not for eyefinity?

You guys might want to wait until 5 yrs later then they have all these oval shape monitor inside of putting 3 in one.

Just look at the example of the command center on the Avatar movie to get the idea.

Don't let these grumpy naysayers stand in the way of your dreams! WHIP OUT THAT TABLE SAW SON!

Back