Can i reinstall Win7 without a disc.

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
On my laptop I have Win7 Home Premium. When ever I go to install SP1 my computer BSOD on the "Starting Windows" screen. When I roll back to pre-SP1 it works fine. I tried installing the individual parts seperately but doesnt work either. I think maybe the Win7 currently installed is corrupt somehow. I do not have a Win7 Home Premium disc. I only have the Win7 Pro 64-bit upgrade disc that is installed on my main rig. Is there a way I can re-install Win7 Home on my laptop with out a physical copy? I do have the serial key. I once read that you could install anyversion of windows with any disc. The version activated was based on serial number entered. Any help would be nice.

What is the make and model of your laptop? How are you trying to install SP1? Some manufacturers love to make it difficult to do anything without paying the manufacturer to do it.

On my laptop I have Win7 Home Premium. When ever I go to install SP1 my computer BSOD on the "Starting Windows" screen. When I roll back to pre-SP1 it works fine. I tried installing the individual parts seperately but doesnt work either. I think maybe the Win7 currently installed is corrupt somehow. I do not have a Win7 Home Premium disc. I only have the Win7 Pro 64-bit upgrade disc that is installed on my main rig. Is there a way I can re-install Win7 Home on my laptop with out a physical copy? I do have the serial key. I once read that you could install anyversion of windows with any disc. The version activated was based on serial number entered. Any help would be nice.
your choices are install the win 7 pro 64 use the desktops key install as an upgrade you can activate it 5 times before you will need to call in to microsoft...

And i dont believe the anydisc thing works unless you have the ultimate full disk.

You can try using the restore feature of the laptop they install a hidden 10-20 gig partition with a system image on it f12 on boot i believe for most laptops... contact the manufacture they will send you a disk of the restore images for that model for $20-30

You're good as long as you want to install 64bit. Hit the stickie at the top of this thread and make yourself a flash drive install. Find the file ei.cfg and delete it. The install will now prompt you for the edition to install.

Some of the links to the .ISO download file may no longer be active, but if your version of Windows still has an active line you can download the .ISO file and create a bootable DVD from the .ISO file. Your product key will only work for the version you purchased.
Once you have created the .ISO you can perform a clean install.
Also down at the bottom of this post is a link to a good how to remove Viruses site and what software to use. I've also posted from my own experience of removing vituses from various computers owned by some of my friends.

holiday infographics

What is the make and model of your laptop? How are you trying to install SP1? Some manufacturers love to make it difficult to do anything without paying the manufacturer to do it.
I'm gonna need to see a legitimate, trusted link, detailing one single PC maker who intentionally, deliberately, *purposely* makes installing Windows "difficult to do without paying the manufacturer." Even Apple doesn't do this.

For the OP, where did you get the Win7 that is on the PC currently? Most PC makers now don't include recovery discs, instead they make a small partition on the hard drive and put the installation files there. Some key at boot (F11? it varies) causes the PC to boot from this partition automatically, and it will offer to wipe out Windows and drop a new one. This would wipe out data so a backup is crucial before starting.

Blue screens without any obvious hardware fault are extremely rare but lean towards bad drivers. Even then few drivers touch the kernel to cause blue screens, so it narrows down the culprits significantly. You may want to check for updated chipset drivers and chipset drivers. Tho the SP1 installer shouldn't care about this stuff.

your choices are install the win 7 pro 64 use the desktops key install as an upgrade you can activate it 5 times before you will need to call in to microsoft...

And i dont believe the anydisc thing works unless you have the ultimate full disk.

You can try using the restore feature of the laptop they install a hidden 10-20 gig partition with a system image on it f12 on boot i believe for most laptops... contact the manufacture they will send you a disk of the restore images for that model for $20-30

It actually works even with a Home Premium or Professional disk. All you need to do is remove the ei.cfg file from the ISO before burning. Tried it numerous times actually. :D

http://www.windowsvalley.com/unlock-all-editions-from-windows-7-iso-image-x86-and-x64/

Back