Can I Re purpose my case reset switch as Clear CMOS?

MTDEW

Weaksauce
My motherboard is an Asus Tuf X570 Gaming-Plus (wifi) and its clear cmos is only two pins that need to be shorted to clear the CMOS. (not the 3pin like older mobos)
Since I NEVER use the reset button on my case, is it possible just to hook that up to the two clear CMOS pins and use the reset buttonon my case to clear my CMOS when needed?
You know how it is, i'm tweaking ram timings and clearing the CMOS with a jumper is a real pain when it doesn't post...LOL

It would work the way you think but I'd caution against it as some boards REALLY don't like this being jumpered while powered up.

Reactions: MTDEW
like this
Yeah, i guess its just not worth taking that the chance. THNX

It would work the way you think but I'd caution against it as some boards REALLY don't like this being jumpered while powered up.

But technically it isn't jumpered until you press the button. Right?

I think it would work fine for your purposes. I wouldn't necessarily leave it that way all the time, but while you're tweaking it shouldn't matter.

I think it would work fine for your purposes. I wouldn't necessarily leave it that way all the time, but while you're tweaking it shouldn't matter.
Correct but the chances of accidentally hitting a reset switch while powered up are far higher than hitting a CMOS clear button/jumper on the board protected by the case. It would certainly work but you'd need to be extra careful. Not sure if worth that risk.

Correct, it shorts the connection when pressed... Just have to be careful to not press while running (not sure if current MBe care or not, but better to be safe). Older MB had 3 pins for the sole purpose of giving you somewhere to store the jumper while not shorted.... Electrically it did nothing.

Correct but the chances of accidentally hitting a reset switch while powered up are far higher than hitting a CMOS clear button/jumper on the board protected by the case. It would certainly work but you'd need to be extra careful. Not sure if worth that risk.

That depends on your case, for mine I need like a pencil to be able to push the reset button as it is pretty small and recessed.

you could mount a flip cover arming switch to disarm the reset button circuit, rendering it safe.
I always wanted one of those switches on my computer but never had such a good excuse.

Back