Can I Play Original Oculus Rift Games On An Oculus Quest 2 Using Oculus Link?

grifter_66

[H]ard|Gawd
I own the original Oculus Rift and I just bought an Oculus Quest 2 (it hasn't arrived yet) thinking that I could plug it in to my computer using Oculus Link and I'd already have an existing library of titles to play considering all the games I purchased for my Oculus Rift. Unfortunately I just learned that they have two separate stores and I may not be able to play my Rift library. Am I going to have to re-buy all my games like Beat Saber, Arktica 1, Knock Out League Boxing etc... if I want to play them on the Quest 2 while wired (using Oculus Link) and will the more graphically advanced games on the Rift store like Wrath work on the quest when it's plugged in to my PC (Using Oculus Link)?

Yes you can play the Rift Game on the Quest 2 using the link cable. Or even with Virtual desktop. IF you have a 5Ghz router and it's near your PC, Virtual desktop might work for you.

Also, some of the games you bought on the Rift are crossbuy, by crossbuy, it means if you buy it on one system it's available on the other system for free. Knockout league is an example. If you go to the store in your Quest 2 and look for knockout league, you will see that it's for free.

Yes you can play the Rift Game on the Quest 2 using the link cable. Or even with Virtual desktop. IF you have a 5Ghz router and it's near your PC, Virtual desktop might work for you.

Also, some of the games you bought on the Rift are crossbuy, by crossbuy, it means if you buy it on one system it's available on the other system for free. Knockout league is an example. If you go to the store in your Quest 2 and look for knockout league, you will see that it's for free.

Thank you.

The Cross-Buy apps list is here: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/

Not all games are Cross-Buy unfortunately. So to play them on Quest you'll need to stream them from your PC with a Link cable or wirelessly with ALVR or Virtual Desktop. (Make sure to get the Quest version of VD, the Rift version will not do what you want it to.)

https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

To echo what reaper12 said, on 5ghz with a separate SSID on a clear channel, Virtual Desktop or ALVR can be great.

There are components of both ALVR and VD that you will need to sideload. You'll need to set up a developer account with Oculus (click a button and pick a name, it's not hard at all) and an account over at SideQuest.

https://sidequestvr.com/

Don't forget to check out the /r/OculusQuest subreddit. They have a lot of good tips and tricks and are generally troll free.

The Cross-Buy apps list is here: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/

Not all games are Cross-Buy unfortunately. So to play them on Quest you'll need to stream them from your PC with a Link cable or wirelessly with ALVR or Virtual Desktop. (Make sure to get the Quest version of VD, the Rift version will not do what you want it to.)

https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

To echo what reaper12 said, on 5ghz with a separate SSID on a clear channel, Virtual Desktop or ALVR can be great.

There are components of both ALVR and VD that you will need to sideload. You'll need to set up a developer account with Oculus (click a button and pick a name, it's not hard at all) and an account over at SideQuest.

https://sidequestvr.com/

Don't forget to check out the /r/OculusQuest subreddit. They have a lot of good tips and tricks and are generally troll free.

Would it be worth getting a wifi 6 router to use just for that?

Would it be worth getting a wifi 6 router to use just for that?

AFAIK Wifi 6 allows a higher bandwidth but does nothing for the latency which is the most important thing, so no it is not worth it for now. As long as you have your PC connected to the router via ethernet cable to minimize latency and Oculus connected to 5g portion of that router then you should be golden. Correct me of I am wrong.

AFAIK Wifi 6 allows a higher bandwidth but does nothing for the latency which is the most important thing, so no it is not worth it for now. As long as you have your PC connected to the router via ethernet cable to minimize latency and Oculus connected to 5g portion of that router then you should be golden. Correct me of I am wrong.
You're not wrong. If you want absolutely minimal latency, set up a 5ghz wifi hotspot on your PC and connect the Quest 2 directly to it and skip the router altogether. This requires a decent 5ghz wifi card in the PC, but works well with the built in intel wifi6 on my b550m. My G14 laptop not so much, unfortunately, I have to go through the router with that (which is a super bummer as it could be a totally portable setup otherwise). The direct connection to the PC hotspot is a little better than going through the router, but honestly barely noticeable, but if you're sensitive to latency that's the route I'd go for wireless.

You're not wrong. If you want absolutely minimal latency, set up a 5ghz wifi hotspot on your PC and connect the Quest 2 directly to it and skip the router altogether. This requires a decent 5ghz wifi card in the PC, but works well with the built in intel wifi6 on my b550m. My G14 laptop not so much, unfortunately, I have to go through the router with that (which is a super bummer as it could be a totally portable setup otherwise). The direct connection to the PC hotspot is a little better than going through the router, but honestly barely noticeable, but if you're sensitive to latency that's the route I'd go for wireless.

Actually no, according to the developer of Virtual Desktop, for Minimal Latency the best way to connect is through a router connected directly to your PC.

Actually no, according to the developer of Virtual Desktop, for Minimal Latency the best way to connect is through a router connected directly to your PC.
I mean, I've tried both. latency, as measured by VD, is around 6ms lower connected directly to the pc hotspot - it removes the router from the equation altogether. I have my pc wired to the router for internet and then host a 5ghz wifi hotspot that the quest (and only the quest) connects to, so it reduces one hop in the setup - no going through the router to get to the PC. I'm not sure how it could reduce latency to add a router in between them....

I mean, I've tried both. latency, as measured by VD, is around 6ms lower connected directly to the pc hotspot - it removes the router from the equation altogether. I have my pc wired to the router for internet and then host a 5ghz wifi hotspot that the quest (and only the quest) connects to, so it reduces one hop in the setup - no going through the router to get to the PC. I'm not sure how it could reduce latency to add a router in between them....

Nice. I have Wifi 6 on my motherboard but haven't used it yet, I'll have to give direct connect a try when I get my Quest 2.

All I know is that the developer is on Reddit, a very nice guy btw, says that connecting the Quest to a dedicated router is better than connecting to a hotspot on a PCIe card.

Now, I can't argue really argue with you because I don't know how many games you have tested with? Are you testing the latency in game or just when you launch? What settings are you using on your router? had you the 5Ghz channel dedicated to the Quest 2 on your router? How far away is it? etc. etc.

My experience testing both matched the developer's. The dedicated router was better. Over short quick tests the PCIe card was fine, but I found over longer gaming sessions that the Router was much better, especially when there was lot going on.

YMMV of course and as long as you are happy with the performance that's all that matters.

All I know is that the developer is on Reddit, a very nice guy btw, says that connecting the Quest to a dedicated router is better than connecting to a hotspot on a PCIe card.

Now, I can't argue really argue with you because I don't know how many games you have tested with? Are you testing the latency in game or just when you launch? What settings are you using on your router? had you the 5Ghz channel dedicated to the Quest 2 on your router? How far away is it? etc. etc.

My experience testing both matched the developer's. The dedicated router was better. Over short quick tests the PCIe card was fine, but I found over longer gaming sessions that the Router was much better, especially when there was lot going on.

YMMV of course and as long as you are happy with the performance that's all that matters.

I was testing mostly with Alyx, 5ghz channel was only used for the Quest. It did only work properly on one of my two PC's I tried it, the G14 just didn't have a high bandwidth connection to the Quest 2, though latency was fine. No idea why, I didn't mess with it much as I just went through the router and couldn't tell the difference. I was more interested in that for a fully portable setup that I wouldn't have to lug a router around or connect via wire, but not doing much travelling right now anyway so will probably screw around more with it over the holidays. It may be depedent on the wifi chip used. It could also depend on the power of the PC - The one where the hotspot worked well was my main rig, which is a 16 core so if it spikes cpu usage it won't really matter much, while the G14 is an 8 core mobile chips so it spiking up a core or two could cause boost to drop enough to slow things down a bit even if cpu utilization was till relatively low.

Back