Can I permanently modify RX 480 settings?

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
My GPU has a habit of running hot. I can set the frequency to -2% and it runs stable, even better if I up the fan curve a bit. However, every time my system crashes or I update the drivers the computer will crash until I remember to fix them.
Is it possible to modify these settings in the bios to make it stable, even with driver updates? System specs in sig.

I havent modified the BIOS of an RX400 series card, but on older cards what youre looking for is RBE (radeon bios editor) and ATIwinflash or equivelant flashing software. Use teh techpowerup VGA bios collection to get a copy of your cards stock BIOS, or I think GPUz can dump it to a file also.

Change thermal paste on you card and clean it from dust.
Or the airflow in your case are terrible.

Change thermal paste on you card and clean it from dust.
Or the airflow in your case are terrible.
I already changed the thermal paste and cleaned fans.
I also changed cases from Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX to Meshify C with Corsair ML140 and ML120 fans.
The situation is worse recently with higher ambient temps but that isn't the main issue.
Regardless, a slight drop in frequency solves the issue.

Haven't seen anything at the bios level. My memory might be fading but I believe amd started signing their bioses with Polaris so not much can be done in order to flash a custom bios. It might have been with the 500 series that they did this but I'm not sure anymore

Afterburner, download it and set up a profile that applies at windows startup

I havent modified the BIOS of an RX400 series card, but on older cards what youre looking for is RBE (radeon bios editor) and ATIwinflash or equivelant flashing software. Use teh techpowerup VGA bios collection to get a copy of your cards stock BIOS, or I think GPUz can dump it to a file also.

This is correct, but if you do flash it then it will not be recognized in windows as they sign the drivers and the drivers won't recognize the modded card. It will have a little yellow icon next to it in device manager. You can run atikmdag-patcher to fix this, but I'm not sure how it works these days as it has been a while since I have done it. But if it fails you can just flash it back to the stock BIOS.

not a mining card, just used for occasional gaming and I've never OCed it.
I have one RX 460 that have similar behaviour on 1024x768 resolution and when I move it on 1980x1024 it start to work very well.

That's very interesting, I will have to try 1080p and 4k.
Ye, I just upgrade my son's monitor, now he said that the video driver restart very rare, before it restart 5 to 10 times a day and he play mainly.. Maincraft. I was tryed all that I know before that to fix it without success and nothing help :D

This is correct, but if you do flash it then it will not be recognized in windows as they sign the drivers and the drivers won't recognize the modded card. It will have a little yellow icon next to it in device manager. You can run atikmdag-patcher to fix this, but I'm not sure how it works these days as it has been a while since I have done it. But if it fails you can just flash it back to the stock BIOS.

This process still works and is worthwhile. I still have 480s in the kid's boxes (they became very cheap when gpu mining crashed, great bang for the buck at 1080/60Hz) and it knocks down the fan speed/heat/power consumption considerably, and they will maintain boost speeds more consistently than stock. This was probably more of an issue for the first card, a 6-pin reference design. Yes, you have to run the patcher after every driver update. I don't recall the exact core/mem speed settings, but dropped Vcore and set 'uber' memory timings. Like any over/underclocking endeavor, it takes trial and error.
The only issue I've had is the anti-cheat rootkit Riotguard that Valorant uses would conflict with the patched AMD drivers, probably flagging them as hacked and not loading them at boot. This has been recently 'fixed' by Riot. I normally wouldn't run that crap on any box in my house, but the complaints wear one down.

If you want to go in this direction, do a search here and you'll find the links to the relevant forum pages, at overclock.net IIRC.

Back