Can I lock my wireless card to a specific signal?

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
When I'm on the 2nd story of my house with my laptop apparently we get some signal from a neighbors linksys router.. and my connection will drop.

I used to have this happen and the wireless icon would show itself not connected (with an x) and then trying to aquire network address to the other network.

It doesn't do this anymore, but when I check the wireless networks in range when I have this problem, the linksys always shows up with one bar. If I disconnect from my link and reconnect (Dlink) everything works fine.

I don't have the linksys in my preferred networks, and I even added it at one point to uncheck the 'connect when this network is within range' box. Is there anyway to control my wireless card so that it only attempts to connect to my d-link or nothing? Kinda like Bluetooth can see all other wireless networks but you tell it which to link to and that's that.

I appreciate any help

Windows XP? Are you using the Windows Wireless Zero-Config tool to configure your wireless device?

You might try changing your SSID to something completely different and maybe changing the channel that it is broadcasting on. Everyone in your neighborhood is more than likely on channel 6 so I would recommend switching to either 1 or 11 to cut down on interference.

Your computer should only try to connect to a network if it is setup to connect to it. Also, if using windows zero config it should process the list of prefered networks in order. So, if you have "linksys" listed about yours then it will try to connect to that one first.

Yes im using windows xp and the wireless zero-config. I've changed the SSID and the channel. The network that is causing a problem isn't even on my list of preferred networks, I've removed it. Before removing it i added it and unchecked the 'connect when this network is in range'.. I don't know why it would be grabbing it

Back