Can I just upgrade my GPU or is my system too old?

rironin

n00b
I built my current machine with advice from here and it worked out great. I think my video card may be getting a little old, though, and was wondering if I could/should upgrade it. Here is my machine's current build:
  • Intel Core i7-3770 CPU + MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
  • G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-16GBNT 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
  • eVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB PCi-E Video Card
  • 256GB SSD
  • LG iHAS224-0 DVD Burner with Lightscribe
  • Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
  • Vantec 3-Port Firewire 400 PCI-E Card
Is the rest of my hardware, like my motherboard and power supply, still new enough that I could buy a new high-ish end video card and just install it right into my current machine? Failing that, is there a decent (and hopefully cheaper) upgrade to my current video card that would do just fine? Or do more current video cards have different demands that my old machine can't meet?

Assuming a simple upgrade will work, what video cards would you recommend I upgrade to? I'm not certain on price, let's say a mid-range option and a high-end option? Thanks!

a new graphics card, all else the same, would make a huge difference. The rest of your system still looks solid!

a new graphics card, all else the same, would make a huge difference. The rest of your system still looks solid!

This!

Toss in a 980/980ti and you're right back at the top of the food chain ;)

I built my current machine with advice from here and it worked out great. I think my video card may be getting a little old, though, and was wondering if I could/should upgrade it. Here is my machine's current build:
  • Intel Core i7-3770 CPU + MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
  • G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-16GBNT 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
  • eVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB PCi-E Video Card
  • 256GB SSD
  • LG iHAS224-0 DVD Burner with Lightscribe
  • Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
  • Vantec 3-Port Firewire 400 PCI-E Card
Is the rest of my hardware, like my motherboard and power supply, still new enough that I could buy a new high-ish end video card and just install it right into my current machine? Failing that, is there a decent (and hopefully cheaper) upgrade to my current video card that would do just fine? Or do more current video cards have different demands that my old machine can't meet?

Assuming a simple upgrade will work, what video cards would you recommend I upgrade to? I'm not certain on price, let's say a mid-range option and a high-end option? Thanks!

You'll be fine with a GPU upgrade. That PSU isn't the best, but it'll work. IIRC it's made by Seasonic anyway. If it's more than 5 years old though I'd consider replacing it.

No idea what your budget is but a 970 GTX would be a huge upgrade for you and they can be had for a little over $300. Sometimes less if you catch a sale. I am assuming you're gaming at 1080P. Even a 960 GTX would be a huge step-up for you, but if budget allows I'd go with a 970 GTX.

If you want the best then get yourself a 980 Ti, but that's going to be nearly twice the cost.

You'll be fine with a GPU upgrade. That PSU isn't the best, but it'll work. IIRC it's made by Seasonic anyway. If it's more than 5 years old though I'd consider replacing it.

No idea what your budget is but a 970 GTX would be a huge upgrade for you and they can be had for a little over $300. Sometimes less if you catch a sale. I am assuming you're gaming at 1080P. Even a 960 GTX would be a huge step-up for you, but if budget allows I'd go with a 970 GTX.

If you want the best then get yourself a 980 Ti, but that's going to be nearly twice the cost.

Thanks! 970 GTX sounds like an excellent choice between performance boost and price. The machine itself is three years old, so I guess I'll stick with my power supply for now.

Is there a particular vendor/version of the 970 GTX that people are recommending as the best place/price right now? The PC Hound sticky on the forum seems to point to this model - I assume it'll slot right into everything I already have, simple replacement?

Last edited:
As was stated, your Ivy Bridge I7 is still relevant, and will probably continue to be for years. Hell, even Sandy Bridge I5's are still good for gaming.

As far as 970 manufactures, Evga and Msi both have consumer-friendly return processes should you need to utilize the dreaded RMA. Many people claim to have experienced issues with Asus honoring it's warranties, I can't really speak to that as I only have experience RMA'ing hardware through Evga and Msi.

And yes, it will slot right in to your case, motherboard and power supply.

If you are planning to play COD Black Ops III, you will want a video card with more than what the 970 has IF you want to max out the settings.

At 1920x1200, it eats up around slightly less than 6GB of VRAM.

With 4 (3.5), expect to only be able to keep a steady 60fps with settings at medium.

Your core specs are pretty close to mine (I have an overclocked i5 3570k, but most of the rest is pretty close) and I put a GTX 970 in earlier this year to replace a GTX 660 Ti. The system is a couple of years old now, but I'm more than handling anything I throw at it.

If you are planning to play COD Black Ops III, you will want a video card with more than what the 970 has IF you want to max out the settings.

At 1920x1200, it eats up around slightly less than 6GB of VRAM.

With 4 (3.5), expect to only be able to keep a steady 60fps with settings at medium.

I have no issues with maxing out COD Black Ops III with my 970 GTX at 1080P. So go away with that "you need more VRAM" crap.

I have no issues with maxing out COD Black Ops III with my 970 GTX at 1080P. So go away with that "you need more VRAM" crap.

I'm just going by what the usage is on my system.. and from seeing how it tanks on anything over medium on a 3GB card due to lack of VRAM (7970 Ghz).

Do you have it actually rendering at 1080p or at whatever it defaulted to? Is everything in Advanced settings maxed out?

What is your VRAM usage like?

I'm just going by what the usage is on my system.. and from seeing how it tanks on anything over medium on a 3GB card due to lack of VRAM (7970 Ghz).

Do you have it actually rendering at 1080p or at whatever it defaulted to? Is everything in Advanced settings maxed out?

What is your VRAM usage like?

You don't know how RAM works do you? Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Back