Can I go for low specs with a college laptop?

adri1456

Gawd
Basically, the heat in my room is unbearable, and since I have a big tower and a CRT monitor, I can't lug it to another place in the house even if I wanted to.

I was looking on ebay for laptops, and I'm thinking of lowering my search to a laptop with atleast 512mb of RAM (so I can get lower speed processors and possibly smaller hard drives for less).

Is it a good idea? I just want a word processing laptop that can handle presentations and the occasional photoshop (probably to crop or to touch edit a few pics at school). Also, I have 6 months left in school, and I won't be gaming on the laptop.

that should be fine, if your not gaming with it and only doing minimal photoshop i think that would do it just fine. The dell 1200 you cen get for around $600 and it has everything you just spelled out there, 512 of ram, lower end celeron processor and 40gb hard drive.

Yeah... don't game... it will kill your time and grades:p

And its best not to have a CRT in a dorm, even though I did it, it was too clunky.

The 512mb Ram sounds like a good idea. Don't know if you're looking for alittle longer battery ability, but I'd try to shoot for a Petinum M processor that why you'll have power and it'll use little less power thus less heat. A 40 gig hard drive would work fine for your functions.

You're right CRT are freaking hot, plus the computer it self is a toaster. My old desktop in the summer would heat up the room until I would sweat, bye bye monitor and desktop. Passed it on to my brother so now his room is HOT.

Back