Can I get some space based RTS suggestions please

dario03

Limp Gawd
So I was thinking of playing Sins of A Solar Empire its just not jumping out to me right now.
So is there any other space based RTS games that are good?
Or are any of the mods good?
I've heard good things about the Star Trek and Star Wars mods for Sins but haven't tried them yet. I am a big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek to.
Which one of those is better?

Last edited:
Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm. I've played both and loved them. This says a lot as typically I fucking hate RTS games. There is a Homeworld 2 but I've never played it. These are older games so you'll have to get them second hand or some such.

Homeworld, HW Cataclysm, Homeworld 2, Sins Trinity (Sins + 2 expansions), there's also GalCiv2 (Impulse only). You might look into SW Empire at War Gold if you like Star Wars...it has space and ground RTS elements...though it never held my attention.

Right now I'm playing Star Ruler, and I'm digging it...though it is a 4X grand strategy game...when I bore of that I switch to Homeworld 1 atm...chipping away at that is fun. Then I get into a little Evochron Mercenary (not strategy, but a solid indie space sim) for some fighting, mp, exploring, etc.

Sins does kick ass, at least Trinity does imho...I've yet to try mods though.

Ive been playing Star Trek Armada II with the Fleet Operations total conversion. It starts off a little slow, but gets very intense and on hard, the AI is pretty good.

I was recently turned on to the game "Nexus: The Jupiter Incident". It's not a traditional base-building RTS, but it is a strategy game where you command a fleet of powerful ships in various missions. I am really digging it. It is VERY difficult, which I like. I have to repeat missions quite a few times, learning from the mistakes of previous attempts.

If you want something a bit more traditional, try Sins out. I know you said that it isn't jumping for you at the moment, and I understand. I bought the original upon release but didn't really get into the game. Then Entrenchment came out and I decided to give it another go, and was sucked in pretty hard. I still play Sins to this day and would be willing to play some MP with you if you'd like. We can AI stomp. :)

Not quite an RTS, but if you like seeing (keyword here) massive, epic space, you should give Gratuitous Space Battles a try.
Extremely nerdy game where you design any type of ships you want (cruiser, bomber, fighter, etc), set up your fleet, set all their tactics and then basically hit the "Go" button and watch them duke it out with your opponent.

Like I said, not an RTS but very cool SciFi-y vibe with lots of strategy. Plus it's an indie game.

There's a cool Let's Play of it here. http://youtu.be/qE4TqSLq57g?t=2m30s

Not quite an RTS, but if you like seeing (keyword here) massive, epic space, you should give Gratuitous Space Battles a try.
Extremely nerdy game where you design any type of ships you want (cruiser, bomber, fighter, etc), set up your fleet, set all their tactics and then basically hit the "Go" button and watch them duke it out with your opponent.

Like I said, not an RTS but very cool SciFi-y vibe with lots of strategy. Plus it's an indie game.

There's a cool Let's Play of it here. http://youtu.be/qE4TqSLq57g?t=2m30s

I had some fun with this one. I actually bought it because it looked almost exactly like the combat from Armada: 2525, but it added the ability to make/modify your own ship designs.

Back