Can I get better video acceleration?

pinoy

Limp Gawd
When it comes to video acceleration is there a difference in performance between a low end video card and a high end video card? Will a top of the line video card ease the burden of decoding a video more from the cpu?

Generally speaking, yes. But

Depends on the program, visual settings, post processing, etc.

What program are you using, are you using any 3rd party processing tools, what resolution, what video format, what video card, what cpu, what is the video file size?

For starters, fire up gpu-z and watch the gpu usage percentage when watching the video. What percentage is it at? And what percentage is the video program using on the cpu?

It's more important to get a video card that has the decoding capabilities that you desire. The higher-end ones don't necessary have all the codecs.

You might want to at least wait for the 950 if you can. It should have everything that the 960 has but at a cheaper price.

fwiw....When i had to rma my 7970 and use my ancient gtx 280, i was shocked at just how well it was still able to do dxva...Specifically playing 1080p videos at 75fps. Granted it had much higher gpu usage but visually looked about the same.

I will answer me. There is not much difference in video acceleration between a low-end and a hi-end video card if they are of the same generation. A current generation video card will have substantial video acceleration advantage over a card from several generations back. It comes in the form of lower CPU and power utilization. The latest cards will also have the latest hardware decoders for 1080p videos and the future 4K videos.

AMD calls their video acceleration features UVD while Nvidia calls it Purevideo. Each have revisions that add additional features with each successive generation.

I will answer me. There is not much difference in video acceleration between a low-end and a hi-end video card if they are of the same generation. A current generation video card will have substantial video acceleration advantage over a card from several generations back. It comes in the form of lower CPU and power utilization. The latest cards will also have the latest hardware decoders for 1080p videos and the future 4K videos.

AMD calls their video acceleration features UVD while Nvidia calls it Purevideo. Each have revisions that add additional features with each successive generation.

True generally speaking. There are programs and plugins that exist on some video apps that can fully saturate a top of line video card. Most of it has to do with additional methods of post processing being used. If you are just watching a video on a regular media player then yes you don't need a top end card.

Actually GPUs of the same generation may not share the same VP block. You see this evident with GM206 vs GM200/204. The tendency is they will but that is not a requirement.

I also would not conclude the latest cards using the latest hardware decoders for future 4k videos. Hybrid decode support is common now but in terms of discrete GPUs only GM206 has full hardware decode support for h.265. Even then there is now some controversey over licensing that may push the industry away from h.265. So if the currently surprise scenario happens of say a switch to VP9 then actual support would be even more spotty as hardware support on the market is still targeting h.265.

Back