Can I get a MW2 250gb drive for my 120gb RE5 Console and have it work?

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
Was looking at getting one of the 250gb MW2 hard drives off ebay for my 120gb RE5 limited edition 360.

Does MS actually match each HD serial to the console serial and thus how they banned a couple of weeks ago? (for incorrect HD units?)

Hate to drop the $$ only to have it work a short time, but I'm a bit low on space.

Just a heads up the majority of the 250GB harddrives on ebay are not official. M$ hasn't banned them or blocked them... yet, but its a possibility and very do able if they wanted to.

Just a heads up the majority of the 250GB harddrives on ebay are not official. M$ hasn't banned them or blocked them... yet, but its a possibility and very do able if they wanted to.

Actually if it's flashed with the same F/W of a legit 250GB drive there is absolutely no way for MS to know it's not theirs unless they come into your home and take it out of the enclosure.

Actually if it's flashed with the same F/W of a legit 250GB drive there is absolutely no way for MS to know it's not theirs unless they come into your home and take it out of the enclosure.

False. MS previously could not detect flashed dvd drive firmware under that same theory, and the most recent ban was made possible by new firmware detection. Saying that they cannot do it as an absolute like that is not a safe assumption.

False. MS previously could not detect flashed dvd drive firmware under that same theory, and the most recent ban was made possible by new firmware detection. Saying that they cannot do it as an absolute like that is not a safe assumption.

You're right I should have mentioned that it is not yet possible and there is no indication of them planning on doing this.

Exactly the harddrives have a bin file with a unique key on them.

The DVD drive firmware is a bit different though. The firmware was modded to remove the legit DVD check.

I wondered about that because the DVD firmware was modified therefor would fail checksum against legit unmodified firmware. The process for buying an unofficial hard drive is to buy the actual model Western Digital HD that MS is using and flash it with the MS firmware and key thing or whatever. I would expect that to pass as a legit drive unless MS goes as far as verifying the drive's serial number as one of their own, heh.

You can actually use many different WD harddrive models, larger ones or even 7200rpm models. Of course you will still only get 250GB of space usable.

each hdd made has a unique S/N that is not overritable even when you flash the drive. SN is most likely either burned into non writable section of flash ram or stored physically on the hdd it's self. I would go with multiple locations on the hdd platter as that would allow the drive to retain the S/N even if the controller board was replaced.

I can see MS getting slapped hard for thier monopolistic practices again unlike MS, Sony officially supports do it yourself HD upgrades and even makes it easy to do and includes instructions in thier manual.I.E any 2,5 inch Sata notebook drive.

If it is a real 250 gig ms drive it should work without issue.

Back