Can I Fix This? XFX 280X BE DD

JeffC

Weaksauce
OK So I am getting this, see photo, at random times. I contacted XFX support and they sent me the latest bios to flash. After flashing the bios every game I tried to play crashed my GPU. The support rep told me if I RMA the card it will take up to 3 weeks for me to get another card back (including shipping time). I am disabled and work from home. I can not afford a 3 week down time. When I purchased this card about a month ago I sold my old card so I don't have a backup GPU.

Is this something that can be fixed without doing an RMA. If not does anyone know of a faster way to RMA with XFX?

2vcjhhc.jpg

2ij2f00.jpg

Ask them to do a cross-shipment for the RMA. They'll charge your card for the price of the card, but they'll refund the money once they receive the defective card. I know it sucks having to do this, but it's the only way to get a faster working card through RMA.

or get a cheap card to hold you over. either way you are looking at downtime unless you go to the store and get a replacement.

http://hardforum.com/member.php?u=143946 contact our local XFX rep here. I cant exactly speak for Mark but i can say He has helped a few of us [H] members sort of skip the waiting line. Cross shipping is probably out of the question, but in all honesty my RMA took a grand total of 1 week, with the actual part xfx did only taking 1 Day. In my mind that beats even mighty EVGA

Send him a pm and if that doesn't work i can look up his email. Keep in mind technically most people are off for the weekend.
Edit: Now it is entirely possible that baking it at home might fix that issue. Really and truthfully on paper they don't want you doing this but in reality as long as you don't leave evidence you baked it, they could care less. In the us they don't mind if the screw stickers are gone, so you don't have to be concerned about that. When my last card went bad it was still under warranty, and i had a backup card, so i didn't even consider having to do mine. I suspect mark if possible will try to get things expedited for you.

Oh and to hold you over at least until you pull the card from your pc...just run the Microsoft display driver and it should fix the display for basic internet use.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I sent the XFX rep here a PM. Hopefully we can work something out.

RMA times are heavily dependent on where you live. I've never had longer than a 3 day turn around at the warehouse, with most replacements shipping the next day. However I live on the east coast, and the RMA center is always in California. That's a full week of ground shipping in each direction, so 2-3 weeks for an RMA is more or less what I've gotten every time.

My current solution is to throw money at the problem (new card from Amazon with next day delivery); but I realize that isn't an option for everyone.

What processor do you have? A lot of the Intel Core i* branded CPUs have integrated graphics. Obviously not the greatest for gaming or rendering, but a sufficient contingency for browsing and word processing.

Alright Jeff, you are squared away. Fidel, i think im still waiting for your ticket #. let me know. Thanks for jumping into this thread and helping out guys, i really appreciate it

Alright Jeff, you are squared away. Fidel, i think im still waiting for your ticket #. let me know. Thanks for jumping into this thread and helping out guys, i really appreciate it

I just want to thank Mark @XFXSupport for all his help. He has really gone above and beyond to provide great customer support!

No firmware flash is gonna fix that. Probably a cracked trace.

or get a cheap card to hold you over. either way you are looking at downtime unless you go to the store and get a replacement.

This. If you can't afford 3 weeks of downtime I suggest you make sure it doesn't happen. Consider yourself lucky this time that your card wasn't a complete failure

A simple 10$ card off craigslist. The fs/t forum. Anything

Those hardcore artifacts though.
Pretty much everyone did the best they could @ troubleshooting

XFX looks like a HongKong or Chinese brand...

XFX is a division of Pine Technology Hldgs ltd. Our parent company is in China, but we're an international company with branches in all major regions, including California, USA, where I am stationed.

Mark at XFX

Last edited:
From what I've been reading here (and other sites), I thought baking the PCB in hot oven fixes some artifacting issues? Although, those seem to be quite heavy artifacting.
You're only supposed to bake old cards which are obviously out of warranty.
If it's still covered, just RMA it.

The only people who should be baking XFX cards are old HD7000 Reference owners, or 300-series owners in 2+ years from now (sans Best Buy shoppers).

XFX is a division of Pine Technology Hldgs ltd. Our parent company is in China, but we're an international company with branches in all major regions, including California, USA, where I stationed.

Mark at XFX

Mark, any idea why XFX took out the portion about double limited lifetime guarantee from their warranty? It was one of the reasons why I enjoyed buying XFX :(

Mark, any idea why XFX took out the portion about double limited lifetime guarantee from their warranty? It was one of the reasons why I enjoyed buying XFX :(

Bitcoin miners kept abusing cards and sending in large quantities at once for the Lifetime Warranty. Thus XFX had to end the warranty due to abuse of the system.

Bitcoin miners kept abusing cards and sending in large quantities at once for the Lifetime Warranty. Thus XFX had to end the warranty due to abuse of the system.

This was definately a part of the reason, but there are alot of theories. there is no official word.

there were a couple of obscure emails that went around about the sheer volume of rmas we were getting and the amount of cards that were rejected for modified bios.

I've only suggested the "bake" method since the OP indicated that he wishes for either a quicker resolution to the matter or a quicker RMA. From my experience, XFX RMA tends to be on the slower side (three weeks turnaround time is about right) compared to other GPU vendors.
I say bake the card, take video and upload to Youtube for all to enjoy.

BTW, My thanks to XFX for upgrading my 7600 GT RMA to 8600 GT, a few years back...never got the chance to thank you.

Given this generous upgrade, I still have my 6600 GT. If I RMA this card, what could I expect to get in replacement?

shoot, they probably upgrade you to a 256mb card and finally future proof your pc:D

I've only suggested the "bake" method since the OP indicated that he wishes for either a quicker resolution to the matter or a quicker RMA. From my experience, XFX RMA tends to be on the slower side (three weeks turnaround time is about right) compared to other GPU vendors.
I say bake the card, take video and upload to Youtube for all to enjoy.

BTW, My thanks to XFX for upgrading my 7600 GT RMA to 8600 GT, a few years back...never got the chance to thank you.

Given this generous upgrade, I still have my 6600 GT. If I RMA this card, what could I expect to get in replacement?

probably a gt 610 or 6450, basically the lowest model we make on our current lineup.

2-3 weeks for RMA from the day you ship it, depending on shipping time to California

This was definately a part of the reason, but there are alot of theories. there is no official word.

there were a couple of obscure emails that went around about the sheer volume of rmas we were getting and the amount of cards that were rejected for modified bios.

Ah... that's too bad. Seems like one of those cases where the few are ruining it for the many.

Back