Can I do this?

crazyhorsejohnny

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new rig in the next couple weeks. I'm not jumping over to vista just quite yet. I have a licensed XP from an older rig that I ended up selling most of the parts. Can I use it and not have problems getting microsoft updates?

Thanks.

The legality will depend on what license you purchased. Chances are, it will probably work though.

The legality will depend on what license you purchased. Chances are, it will probably work though.

Legality may not be the proper word to use here. I doubt that whatever he does with his XP license that he would be in violations of any laws. (License agreements, perhaps.)

I assume you are refering to an "OEM" XP. (more properly referred to as "System Builder" product.) If it did not come from a Top-Tier OEM or in a retail box, chances it is "OEM".

Technically, you are required to stick the COA to the machine the OS is installed on / licensed to. Once the sticker has been affixed to a PC, it's not supposed to move to another PC - period. However... do you know ANYONE who sticks the COA on the side of their case? This is precisely why. Who's to say what system the software is licensed to.... could be this system, or that one, or the one you are building next week.

I -really- doubt that if you own one copy of XP and have one copy installed, that the software police will come knocking down your door. :)

Awol

Awol

Back