can I disable NVMe slot?

polonyc2

Fully [H]
after an NVMe drive is installed is there any way for me to disable it without physically removing the drive?...I want the ability to boot into another SATA SSD drive independently...meaning I want to install another copy of Windows 10 onto the SATA drive and use that...is there a setting in the BIOS that disables the NVMe slot?...can I then re-enable it and get back the drive with everything installed on it intact?...I have an MSI X570 Tomahawk motherboard

with SATA SSD's (and older mechanical hard drives) it was easy to just unplug the SATA cable and plug it into a new drive

Jonnycat99

Limp Gawd
I was wondering this same question not too long ago but came up unsatisfied, it seems like such an obvious feature to have.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
have you bothered to look in your bios at all or RTFM? if you cant turn it completely off, remove it from the boot device list.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
have you bothered to look in your bios at all or RTFM? if you cant turn it completely off, remove it from the boot device list.

of course I looked in the BIOS and tried out multiple ways of doing it first (and searched online)...you're always so condescending with your responses

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
of course I looked in the BIOS and tried out multiple ways of doing it first (and searched online)...you're always so condescending with your responses
youre always so touchy, wash the sand out and set you boot device to only the one you want.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
youre always so touchy, wash the sand out and set you boot device to only the one you want.

you're always looking to put people down or talk down to people who don't have the same level of knowledge as you do...the very nature of forums are supposed to be a place where people ask questions and learn...yes some questions may be beginner level but everyone was a beginner at some point...just because you may find something to be beneath you or obvious then just don't respond...I'm trying to learn about this so I'll have that knowledge going forward

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
you're always looking to put people down or talk down to people who don't have the same level of knowledge as you do...the very nature of forums are supposed to be a place where people ask questions and learn...just because you may find something to be beneath you or obvious then just don't respond...I'm trying to learn about this so I'll have that knowledge going forward
i think youll find that your full of shit. give attitude, get attitude.

acquacow

Limp Gawd
You can always choose your boot device in your bios, you don't have to disable the slot. You've been able to specify your boot device in your BIOS since the beginning of time.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
Generally you can't disable PCIE/add-in card devices which nvme drives are considered, some OC oriented boards have physical switches to disable them but most don't have this. I'm not sure why it's hard for people to say this without being a jerk but whatever I guess.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
Generally you can't disable PCIE/add-in card devices which nvme drives are considered, some OC oriented boards have physical switches to disable them but most don't have this. I'm not sure why it's hard for people to say this without being a jerk but whatever I guess.
he made no mention of any attempts of figuring it out in his own in the op. so i asked and he got his panties in a twist.
if you cant turn it completely off, remove it from the boot device list.
and i provided a solution/option.

so the "never helpful, just mean" bit is bs. my post history will also prove that....

polonyc2

Fully [H]

it's too bad they can't be disabled...wouldn't be so bad if the NVMe location on the motherboard was someplace easy to reach but with my motherboard it involves removing the GPU first...way too much work to have to do that every time I want to switch to a SATA drive...all motherboard manufacturers should put in an option to allow M.2 NVMe slots to be disabled in the BIOS

Jonnycat99

Limp Gawd

Thanks for that, it makes sense as a PCI device. I would still think that given the specific case of the lane being used for storage it should be standard to have a way to disable the drive in situations where one would wish to isolate it from the rest of the system.

michalrz

2[H]4U
I have an idea, but it carries some risk of messing up your booting.
I think you could install a bootloader like Grub onto the nvme, it should be then able to boot from the other drives it sees.
I havent done this in years, but maybe it's a starting point.

mwroobel

Supreme [H]ardness
Unfortunately, there is no way to do what you want at the hardware level. One thing you could do is create a Virtual Machine, pass-through the secondary m.2 drive to that VM and this way you can have virtualized hardware access to that drive while the rest of the system above the Hypervisor ignores whatever space you use for the VM file and you can have the VM not see any upstream local drives as well.

Dreamerbydesign

Supreme [H]ardness
you're always looking to put people down or talk down to people who don't have the same level of knowledge as you do...the very nature of forums are supposed to be a place where people ask questions and learn...yes some questions may be beginner level but everyone was a beginner at some point...just because you may find something to be beneath you or obvious then just don't respond...I'm trying to learn about this so I'll have that knowledge going forward

No need to respond. Just add him to your ignore list and move along. Very easy forum feature and very handy.

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
No need to respond. Just add him to your ignore list and move along. Very easy forum feature and very handy.

I second this advice. After only my second interaction with Pendragon I added him to my ignore list. His M.O. is belittling and talking down to fellow forum members. I'm honestly surprised he's lasted on the [H] this long.