Can I connect my GTX 580 directly to my receiver?

Compddd

[H]ard|Gawd
Would this allow me to have just 1 display in Win7 and still get sound without having to extend my display onto the receiver in Win7?

Right now I have an Auzentech HTHD sound card, a passthrough cable connects from the GTX 580 to the Auzentech, then the Auzentech connects to the receiver via HDMI. This makes the receiver show up in Windows as a 2nd display, and I have to extend my desktop onto it to get sound(since HDMI needs a video and audio signal to work), and that makes my GTX 580 runs at full blast because it thinks there are 2 displays.

If the GTX 580 has an HDMI port and is anything like the HD 5870 you should be able to connect it right to your receiver and have it pass both video and sound by itself (and your Auzentech soundcard becomes somewhat redundant)

If the GTX 580 has an HDMI port and is anything like the HD 5870 you should be able to connect it right to your receiver and have it pass both video and sound by itself (and your Auzentech soundcard becomes somewhat redundant)

Will it make my GTX 580 run at max clocks though? That is what I'm trying to avoid mainly.

Well you've got two options. Presuming you want to keep using your HTHD, and I would since it is a nice card (I have one) you can do one of two things:

1) Take the video out from the receiver to your monitor. So GTX580 -> HTHD -> receiver -> monitor. That is the "normal" method for it so to speak, since usually for home theater stuff your pass everything through the receiver. If that'll work depends on your needs and our receiver. Try it out.

2) Get a splitter. It'll take 1 HDMI input to 2 outputs, and is fully HDCP complaint (though that isn't really necessary for a computer in most cases). Feed one to the HTHD, the other to the display.

My monitor is a Dell 3007WFP-HC, resolution is 2560 x 1600, would that work connecting it to the receiver?

Where would I connect the splitter too? If you could lay out where to connect what on option 2, that would be most appreciated :)

I ended up using Nvidia inspector to force 2D clocks when I'm not gaming, works fantastic :)

or I just turn off the receiver when I'm surfing the net and it'll drop down to lowest clocks on it's own.

Back