can i change fan speeds on laptops?

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
I have a Fujitsu AH550, and the cooling system seems very inefficient. There are basically 2 modes the laptop goes through. The first being a silent mode where the fan is at minimum speed and doesnt really do much, i believe its baswically relying on passive cooling. Then after about 3 minutes, the fan jumps up to full speed for about 1 minute and is really loud and blows warm air in the back.

Its really irritating because its all quiet one minute, and the next, it gets noisy and can easily be heard across the room, int hew middle of gaming/watching movies. Is there a way where i can set hotleys to specific fan speeds? Id rather have it run at 20% and 60% than 0% then 100%..

speedfan doesnt detect the fans. Im not really sure how to use it, but when i try to configure the fan settings, it doesnt read any.

Is there any other program or such that i can use?

you can try third party or original vendor bios for your MB. for third party one see their reviews and make sure they don't screw up ur MB, and for original vendor you just need to find which company made the motherboard and see if one of their line or similar line have bios update which might help, i haven't done this on any newer model but have seen it done by friends on some old model of dell laptops (early 2003 and 2004)

speedfan doesnt detect the fans. Im not really sure how to use it, but when i try to configure the fan settings, it doesnt read any.

Is there any other program or such that i can use?
Here's a screenshot from their website:
mainwindow.gif

note the little /\ and \/ buttons next to a percentage. That's where you adjust the fan speed.

Have you checked the BIOS to see if there's any settings there to keep the fan on?

Back