Can I boost my Wifi signal?

Hey guys,
quick rundown
1.just bought dell e1705 and linksey's 54mbps wireless G router
2.connection type-charter high speed "3 meg" connected to destop pc.
Now my problem,not getting very good speed on laptop while surfing"around 34 mbps"
the linksey's is set up in my wash room on a shelf about 6ft high.My question, is there a better place to put it so I could recieve a great signal throughout my home,or do I just need to buy some antenna extender's or a faster wireless router "108 mbs",or can I make some kind of homade antenna or extender for the wireless router.
thanks

If I were buying a wireless setup for my home right now, i would probably try to find one of pre-n models out now.
from what i've read, they are pretty good with range and speed.

if i could live with the slowness/laggyness for a while, i would probably wait until the final 802.11n spec is released and get one of those setups.

you could try antenna's but i haven't had the greatest luck with them. some people have had better though.
not sure i helped any, but personally i would go 'n' as much as i could.

Creepingdeath1977 said:
Hey guys,
Now my problem,not getting very good speed on laptop while surfing"around 34 mbps"

34mbit is not a very good speed? If you've only got a 3mbit internet connection, you've got more than enough headroom. Now if you're copying files from wired PC to wireless laptop.... thats different story.

You should only expect to get the full 54Mbit connection speed within about 20-30 feet of the AP, assuming no interference. The further you get from the AP the lower the speed is going to get. Different antennas may increase range, but not by much unless you get into pretty high end equipment.

amenthes said:
34mbit is not a very good speed? If you've only got a 3mbit internet connection, you've got more than enough headroom. Now if you're copying files from wired PC to wireless laptop.... thats different story.

correction on the charter high speed,it's 300m not 3,sorry.

I'm wondering if this guy got his prefixes screwed up, and maybe he's thinking mega when he should be thinking kilo or something.

If you have a 3Mbit cable connection (sounds about right), and you are connecting to your wireless router at 34Mbit, then you should be having no problem.

So here's the question:

Are you actually having problems/slowdowns, or are you just wondering how to get a "better" signal on your laptop?

Xipher said:
I'm wondering if this guy got his prefixes screwed up, and maybe he's thinking mega when he should be thinking kilo or something.

I'm thinking so....

You can do the admittedly ghetto, but low cost Pringle can antenna booster, but even at the edge of your coverage, the speed you get will still be faster than your internet connection.

I have a soup can with a hole poked in it, and a 6 foot LMR-100a RP-SMA extension cable hooked up, with my PCI cards antenna stuck in the can.

Link goes about 1 mile or so through one wall, connection speed is 11Mb Rx/Tx. Sometimes the connection takes a dump and barely holds together at 1Mb Rx/Tx, and packets seem to drop left and right. I cant actually see the antenna that I have it aimed at, but im suprised 30mW can do this.

The current record for an unamplified signal is around 125 miles. I could go on and on explaining how it works in simple terms, but nobody asked and Im lazy. When it comes to connection speed, 36Mbps is fairly good. I usually get about 22Mbps of actual throughput when connected at 54Mbps between my access point and laptop. Less than 50% of advertised throughput. What Id be more worried about as your signal drops down into single digits, is if it can actually communicate back and forth without getting lots of errors and packet loss.

But 36Mbps is fairly good. Just like everyone else said, reflector plate from cardboard&tin foil or Ghetto pringles/soup can. Works great if you even do it half-assed.

Depending on which model Linksys router you have..you may be able to boost your signal, yes. If you have a wrt54g version 1 through 4...you can flash it with hyper-wrt or dd-wrt firmware...which allow you do boost up your wireless signal strength. So you would probably be pegging at 54 megs where you current are reading 34.

amenthes said:
I'm thinking so....
your thinking is wright my friend,messed up my prefixes,sorry
I guess I just need to move the Wifi out of the wash room and see if it picks up better.
Because the breaker box for the house is in there and the washer and dryer,but I'm not sure if those things interfere with my Wifi....

Back