Can I back up my Office License?

slowbiz

2[H]4U
I've got a few problems happening on my computer, so I think it's time for a format and fresh install of everything. Last time I did this I had to call Microsoft to activate my Office 2003. Basically because I've activated it more than 5 times (what do you know, I've formatted my hard drive more than 5 times since 2003), I have to call them and ask pretty please. I hate this. Last time I did it, the guy was acting all sketchy and giving me a hard time. Is there any way to avoid this, and just back up my office as it is now and transfer the liscence to my newly formatted hard drive? Or is this somehow considered friggin piracy?

I had the same problem with Visual Studio.Net. The EULA allowed for installation on three machines, so I installed it on my laptop and my desktop, then had to reformat both. Since I'd done two previous installs, it would only let me install it on one of the machines, and the assholes I had to call wouldn't authorize me to install it anymore, and basically said outright that I was using an illegal copy. I talked to three people and got the same treatment from all three. As I don't have a programming class anymore, it's not as important to me as it was then, but to have to do all my work on the laptop really sucked.

If you get it to work, I recommend installing the stuff you need to get activated and making a backup image of the hard drive, then install everything else.

i've had to call up microsoft a few times to reactivate since i tend to replace hardware/motherboards as well, but have never had a problem with rude tech support on their end....

if that happened to me, i'd take their name, and move up the chain of command to report them... you're fulfilling your end of the EULA and they're breaking theirs by refusing to reactivate

Back