Can I add a 4850 to this Dell?

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
I will be in the market for a new computer in the near future as my P4 2.8, x800XT isn't quite keeping up with the current generation of games. I'm not really comfortable building my own computer from scratch but I can install/upgrade parts. I've replaced video cards before but I've never added a separate video card to a system with integrated graphics before. So my question is, would I be able to add a ATI 4850 to this dell system (which I quickly priced at about $540 today). Also, anything else I might want to consider feel free to make recommendations. Thanks!

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8300 (6MB L2 Cache,2.83GHz,1333FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW Drive edit
VIDEO CARD Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 edit
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit
MODEM No Modem Option edit

I have the feeling that the power supply won't be big enough. Your best bet is to ask in the Dell Forums, in the Video Card section. There's a couple of guys there that are very knowledgeable about this kind of thing; they'll know if the power supply is big enough.

Thanks. I saw in another post that the power supply would probably need to be replaced. I've never done that before but I can't imagine it's too complicated so I'll look into that.

Back