Can I activate Vista retail now or 30th?

Finkus

Gawd
So anyway I picked up a copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade today (the chap was getting them out of the boxes as I was browsing the store and I convinced him to sell me a copy) and will backup my game saves and Steam stuff to my second drive tonight. However... I'm dying to install it!

The question is.... Will I have full functionality in the 30-day activation grace period on a clean install of the retail OS or will it be gimped until Tuesday when I can activate it. I highly doubt that you can activate a retail copy prior to the 30th, unless anyone has heard any different?

I imagine that with retail outlets getting their shipments already that plenty of people that work in retail or customers that smile sweetly at shop keepers will be in the same situation as me today.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note. I'm currently using Realtek onboard audio and was holding off until Vista to think about a Creative card or to get the Bose Companion 5 speakers. Anyone have any experience with either of those that can shed light on compatibility issues?

EDIT: Just for info: The EU retail box of Vista Ultimate Upgrade comes with 2 DVDs inside. One is 32-bit and one is 64-bit. I had heard people say that you could only get the 32-bit at retail and had to send off to Microsoft with proof of purchase to get the 64-bit DVD so I thought I'd clear that up for people wondering about that.

AFAIK there's nothing stopping you from activating now. MSDN and TechNet people have been activating since November. Worst that can happen is it tells you to wait a few days.

I installed my copy of oem Home Premium 2 days ago and activated it with no problems.

Back