Can HX620 handle the 7v fan mod?

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I was trying to undervolt some yates to 7v, testing it out on my mushkin 550W PSU. As soon as I connected the fan's black wire to the molex's red wire (thus creating the 7V between 12V and 5V) the unit turned off and won't turn back on.

The Mushkin unit was very cheap and rated poorly at Jonny Guru, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised. Even so, I want to make sure that the Corsair HX620 can handle current 'flowing into' the 5V rail before I try it out. Is anyone else currently doing this?

Thanks

You connected a positive rail directly to ground, that's why the power supply didn't like it very much. You're supposed to replace the ground pin (black wire) with the +5V wire so that the fan sees 7V between the 12V and 5V, and not the normal 12V between the 12V and ground.

Not sure if I read what you wrote correctly.

OUCH, er on the molex the yellow is +12 and the red is +5 and if you connect a fan between them you get a voltage difference of +7 volts (the yellow on the molex should go to the red on the fan, the red on the molex should go to the black on the fan for 7V).

Color codes can indicate polarity but can have no meaning as to voltage. It just happened back in the day some engineer decided that in a standard PC yellow is +12 most of the time. Orange is also used for +12 on the 4pin aux 12V, most of the time. It just happened that fan manufactures use red to indicate what is normally the +12 postive lead. Black in electronics usually means ground, in house wiring it means the 120V hot lead. Never assume, it can have shocking results.

If the above makes no sense to you I recommend you leave well enough alone and buy a cheap fan controller. Sorry about that supply, if lucky you just blew an internal fuse but they are almost always soldered in. I will go look at jonnies review I migh can tell if it can be replaced. Do NOT open that supply up.

Mushkin HP-550 550W I could not see anything that looked like a fuse you could replace. I am sorry to say either send it back for repair or trash it.

He got it right.

You put the fan's + into +12V and the fan's - into +5V.

Not sure why the Mushkin tripped, but even if it was a short protection, it should come back on by just unplugging it and then plugging it back in again.

Coincidental death?

He got it right.

You put the fan's + into +12V and the fan's - into +5V.

Not sure why the Mushkin tripped, but even if it was a short protection, it should come back on by just unplugging it and then plugging it back in again.

Coincidental death?
Yeah I wasn't smart enough to try unplugging it and trying again :eek:. The Mushkin works now, but really I just wanted confirmation that the HX620 would be okay with me running fans at 7v.

Back