Can DSL go over a digital line, or only over an analog line?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by RavinDJ, Oct 5, 2004.

1. RavinDJ

RavinDJ 2[H]4U

Okay... this small business I'm getting network is getting digital telephone lines soon (don't ask my why or what kind or how). In any case, they want DSL NOW! So, I told them we need one analog line, at least for now, and they'll use the fax line. Haha... theyr'e sooo dumb... they asked me if DSL is going to interfere with their fax :D

Heh... in any case, was I right in telling them that DSL can only travel over analog telephone lines? In terms of digital... I don't think they're getting VoIP. But, what other telephone lines are there that are digital? Just the PBX phone system?

2. XOR != OR

XOR != OR [H]ardForum Junkie

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can pipe the dsl over a fax line.

Now, if you had an alarm system that ran on the same line, that'd interfere with the dsl system.

Let me offer some friendly advice: If there is any idiocy on their part, it's appearently asking you technical questions. We have knowledge other people don't have, just like mechanics or doctors do. That does not make us superior to anybody else, and further, it's childish ( at best ) to call someone else stupid for not having the information we have. Nobody knows everything. Suppose your doctor or dentist calls you an idiot behind your back because you don't know how to do a root canal?

It doesn't help that you are wrong.

Learn humility. Be humble. You don't know everything, and you have TONS to learn still.

3. KaosDG

KaosDG [H]ardForum Junkie

DSL is available over digital lines, it's IDSL (run off an ISDN circuit)

It's not exactly practical because it only runs slightly faster than ISDN, but you don't have to "dial" and you don't ma or may not have to pay per-call fees with ISDN.

As far as I know DSL will run over an analog fax line, since the line is in essence just a regular analog line (the fax machines do all the fancy voodoo to talk to each other, and on the same frequency that regular voice uses so DSL shouldn't interfere, with proper filtering)

4. RavinDJ

RavinDJ 2[H]4U

To answer some of your questions and ask some of my own...

I didn't laugh at them... nor did I smirk at them. It just made me laugh inside to see that in technologically-inclined times such as these, people still don't know how DSL works (the fact that it WON'T interfere with phone, fax, etc. except for an alarm system). So, to XOR != OR, I don't need your lecture on the fact that I shouldn't be laughing b/c they're wrong and I'm wrong. But, I completely DO realize I still have A LOT to learn. And believe me... it is A LOT! I'm wondering what kind of digital line they're getting, and... if in fact, it is VoIP, of which I have no clue whatsoever.

As for the fax, analog line, and DSL issue... I wasn't asking if it would interfere, b/c I already know that it wouldn't. But, going back to XOR != OR... yep, still got lots to learn.

Hmmm... KaosDG.... IDSL, huh? Yeah, you're right... it wouldn't be worth it. I'm gonna find out what kind of digital line they're getting. Worst case scenario... they get DSL for now over analog, and can switch later on.

And, again... I am humble and I know humility... c'mon, that's why I'm asking all you guys for help :)

Thanks, though!!!

5. oakfan52

oakfan52 [H]ard|Gawd

well if there keep the fax line then just leave the dsl on the fax line. We generally try to put dsl on fax lines because it usualy is just a straight forward basic analog line.

6. IceWindus

IceWindus n00b

Fax uses the regular analog carrier signals, so all you need to do is put a filter on the jack that the Fax machine is using to filter out the digital DSL signal and your DSL and fax will coexist just fine.