Can Cyberpunk still pull out a "Witcher 3' after fixes?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Can Cyberpunk still be saved? Is there a Cyber-"Witcher3" in the rough?

I've been waiting to play it, but I want it to be, you know, finished, beforehand. Sounds like this may be a year out or so, which is fine.

What I'm down about though is commentary saying there's no amount of fixing that can fix Cyberpunk, that it's just not something that can be patch-buffed out. Like a crack in the windshield that's too deep and too wide-sprawling for the parking-lot hustlers to repair, the only true fix being a whole new windshield altogether.

Is this the case? Will it be a significantly better/different game a year from now, or should I just chalk my hype up as a loss and play it now for what it is, then move on?

Having two full playthroughs and ~200 hours in the game, anything done at this point is just going to be icing on the cake. Thoroughly enjoyed the game as-is and I'll be happy to do more playthroughs as things improve.

I picked the game up within the last two weeks and have very few problems. Had to restart the game once and had a weird character model glitch changing clothes once. The menu to sell/deconstruct equipment is slow. I've seen very little that would require fixing on a level that would prevent me from recommending the game.
My first play through I sort of hustled the main story line and picked up some side quests. This time through I'm doing far more side quests and enjoying them.

I think I enjoy this game more by watching TMartin and jingles play Throughs :)

Had it since day one. I just boot it up to look for updates and have played about 15 minutes. As soon as the updates peter out I will jump in.

lol. I hate the Witcher games. Please don't "fix" Cyberpunk, I'm enjoying it as is.

The game is fine, It didn't run well on low-end hardware. Didn't feel anymore buggy that a typical Bethesda game at launch. Cyberpunk's real problem was being hyped to the moon and back. It was never going to live up to expectations and never will. They would have practically had to release a bug free and complete start citizen for the hype train to not derail.

Reactions: DPI
like this

I've been waiting to play it, but I want it to be, you know, finished, beforehand. Sounds like this may be a year out or so, which is fine.

What I'm down about though is commentary saying there's no amount of fixing that can fix Cyberpunk, that it's just not something that can be patch-buffed out. Like a crack in the windshield that's too deep and too wide-sprawling for the parking-lot hustlers to repair, the only true fix being a whole new windshield altogether.

Is this the case? Will it be a significantly better/different game a year from now, or should I just chalk my hype up as a loss and play it now for what it is, then move on?

The game plays fine on PCs as is. It's one of the best single player games I've ever played. Yes there are bugs, but nothing so bad I wouldn't play it. Yes there are things that seem incomplete and could be drastically improved upon like the police system, but there's still plenty of game to play. As far as I know they haven't said anything about overhauling the police system or other things, just fixing bugs. In which case you might as well play now because they aren't that bad.

I don't know why someone would say it's unfixable on PC. Maybe for consoles it's hopeless to get it in a good running state, but on PCs it's fine. If they're talking about the PC version it's probably just those shitty disingenuous youtubers that exaggerate everything negative and and controversial to get views.

It still a fine game but the rep will forever be tarnished. People won't let it go no matter how good it turns out.

It sounds like it would take a lot of work, but that's normal for CDPR (release a buggy game, collect revenue, fix bugs/add content). What isn't normal in this case is the gap between player expectations and the actual game. A lot of people were surprised by CDPR changing the game from an RPG to a story-driven game, and they expected a more polished game this time around compared to past CDPR games.

People probably shouldn't have been surprised by the bugginess, as sad as that is. CDPR does this all the time and it's silly to expect that culture to change. But at the same time CDPR had all the money and time in the world to release a good product this time out of the gate and I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect that. On the matter of content and features, I don't see any major changes happening. More tacked on sidequests, maybe fixing some of the more egregious issues with world atmosphere (cars popping out, NPC interactions, etc.), but it's unrealistic to expect CDPR to deliver A "Witcher 3: Cyberpunk" RPG when they already made a conscious decision not to.

Personal opinion: I think they bit off more than they could chew. They're arguably working with a new team of developers since the witcher 3, so not only were their capabilities untested, they promised an amazing game that would repeat all of their past successes and then some. They realized this early on and that's why they changed the description of the game from an RPG to a more limited "action-adventure game". This allowed them to reduce the scope of the game and reduce the number of possible paths (and bugs) the user could create. Releasing it on PS4 apparently caused further last minute disruptions and bugs and I think that's the kind of stuff that can be worked through/fixed for PC users, but if you can't imagine liking the game assuming all the bugs were fixed, I don't see that changing at all no matter how many DLCs and bugfix patches they release.

It sounds like it would take a lot of work, but that's normal for CDPR (release a buggy game, collect revenue, fix bugs/add content). What isn't normal in this case is the gap between player expectations and the actual game. A lot of people were surprised by CDPR changing the game from an RPG to a story-driven game, and they expected a more polished game this time around compared to past CDPR games.

People probably shouldn't have been surprised by the bugginess, as sad as that is. CDPR does this all the time and it's silly to expect that culture to change. But at the same time CDPR had all the money and time in the world to release a good product this time out of the gate and I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect that. On the matter of content and features, I don't see any major changes happening. More tacked on sidequests, maybe fixing some of the more egregious issues with world atmosphere (cars popping out, NPC interactions, etc.), but it's unrealistic to expect CDPR to deliver A "Witcher 3: Cyberpunk" RPG when they already made a conscious decision not to.

Personal opinion: I think they bit off more than they could chew. They're arguably working with a new team of developers since the witcher 3, so not only were their capabilities untested, they promised an amazing game that would repeat all of their past successes and then some. They realized this early on and that's why they changed the description of the game from an RPG to a more limited "action-adventure game". This allowed them to reduce the scope of the game and reduce the number of possible paths (and bugs) the user could create. Releasing it on PS4 apparently caused further last minute disruptions and bugs and I think that's the kind of stuff that can be worked through/fixed for PC users, but if you can't imagine liking the game assuming all the bugs were fixed, I don't see that changing at all no matter how many DLCs and bugfix patches they release.
What? Are you confusing CDPR with Bethesda? Sure CDPR games are not perfect but pretty damn solid on release.

I got 110 hours out of my single play through. I did every quest (except two bugged out quests) bought every optional vehicle, and have a good portion, though not all of the achievements and legendary items.

I paid $60 for it launch. I don't typically, almost never, buy games at full price. I'd buy this one again. It was an enjoyable game.

I have about 140 hours in Witcher 3 to get to the same 'place' but that includes all the Witcher 3 DLC/expansions. I liked the Witcher 3 more (subjectively prefer the Witcher World, and storyline, and depth of dialogue/choices), but I quite enjoyed both games. It's not too broken to fix. It wasn't too broken to enjoy even at launch. (at least on PC).

I got lucky with my playthrough. I ran into only 1 crash and the only graphic anamoly was the "cars sticking out of the ground" / not level with the surface bug, which I didn't mind too much.

From talking to my buddies, the main complaint was that they didn't include so much in-game that they bragged about in the demo videos from a few years back. I didn't mind but apparently some people did.

same I spent 120+ hours with it and my complaints really can't be fixed. Menu system could be a lot better but I made do.

No. I think Witcher 3 was over rated, but is objectively a more rounded out experience than CP2077 which has some major holes in it. But CP2077 is still a fun game. But it will never be a great game. Not without massive changes, revamped features and new additions, which won't happen.

Back