Can cheap 1150 motherboards overclock or not?

Sheikh

n00b
And which one of the cheap boards would you recommend?

Budget is about 40-50€ so around 50-70 usd

Haswell is base on cpu and not base on mb. even cheapest mb can overclock the same as expensive one.

They are all about the same honestly. Pick the one that best fits you and buy it.

WOW! No! All boards do not overclock the same! First of all, you need a motherboard with a chipset designed for overclocking and an unlocked processor. You will want good VRM cooling on your board also.

A Z87 board would be what you want with a "K" series CPU. I can't believe you're getting these responses. You probably won't even find a board in that price range if you want to do any real overclocking.

CAN you overclock on a cheap board? Yes. Should you overclock on a cheap board? Depends on if you want to replace it and how high of an overclock you are attempting to reach.

A processor will overclock the same no matter what board it is used on. About the only difference would be a smaller voltage to take to get to the same speed. "K" means the chips is unlocked by the multiplier. Doesn't matter what board it is the multiplier will raise or lower the same. As the cpu now controls everything on this series.

Perhaps you should go try some boards out and see what the results are before posting. If you would take the time and look at all the reviews here. All the boards are very close in overclocking results. The rest is just bells and whistles on top of that. That is the reason he was told to find the best board that suited his needs.

WOW! No! All boards do not overclock the same! First of all, you need a motherboard with a chipset designed for overclocking and an unlocked processor. You will want good VRM cooling on your board also.

A Z87 board would be what you want with a "K" series CPU. I can't believe you're getting these responses. You probably won't even find a board in that price range if you want to do any real overclocking.

CAN you overclock on a cheap board? Yes. Should you overclock on a cheap board? Depends on if you want to replace it and how high of an overclock you are attempting to reach.

While it is true few boards can OC the same CPU somewhat, it is not true that all boards can OC the same CPU to the same speed. Better boards will have better components to help with stabilizing a CPU better while cheap boards won't and thus their OCing potential is a little more limited. In the world of OCing, one has to know the ins and outs of all the parameters to get the best OCing out of a CPU. Of course there will be crappy CPUs where they won't OC at all no matter what boards you use.

Having said that, I've seen on rare occasions when a cheap board can OC a CPU just as good an expensive one can. Another thing, perhaps not applicable anymore, but like a few years back (2007-2008 somewhere), I had an Asus P5K Deluxe that was unable to OC the Q6600 beyond 200 Mhz without crapping out on me.. The board went bad and I RMAed it. When I got the new board (same model), it either came with new chipset revision or maybe just a newer batch of the same revision, I was able to OC my Q6600 to 800 Mhz over the stock speed without crapping out on me. Back then, 500-800 Mhz over the stock speed was great. Of course, some people have been able to OC a Celeron 1.66Ghz to like 3-5Ghz, these freaks used liquid nitro and that's beyond my practice.

Sometimes newer chipset revision helps with OC better, sometimes worse.

That is why I wanted him to pick the board based on his needs. The only issue I seen with high end boards is the average user will never even scrape the surface on the stuff it offers. That extra money could be then put towards a ssd, monitor, gpu or dual gpus, etc.

Either way we all are playing the silicon lottery trying to get the best cpu still. But yes if you want a better components you will have to pay more. Do they help sure but sometimes not the for cost/performance ratio. Hopefully he gets something that will allow him to grow with his needs though. That would be my main concern on the outcome.

Merry Christmas.

Get a Z87 board. Pretty much any of them will do. I don't know what some of these other guys are reading, but Haswell VRM is on die. There are several articles demonstrating how even the cheap Z87 boards will OC pretty much the same as their expensive counterparts because the motherboard has less to do with the OC as the actual CPU you get.

Yes, you must get a "K" chip if you want to OC past the normal "Turbo" levels, but even a locked processor should be able to set all 4 cores to the max turbo speed in bios so you essentially get a 400-500mhz OC for free. Even with a decent chip, you still need very good CPU cooling with Haswell. I wouldn't expect more than 4.2-4.5 unless you get a good chip. I had one that did 4.2 and temps stayed decent, so I just left it there.

If you're talking "cheap" H81/87 boards, well, that's a different story.

any 1150 motherboard should be fine
most expensive motherboards is because of the look or extra features you won't use it

As far as I have seen, Haswell boards do not allow Turbo bin overclocking on non-K CPUs like Ivy boards did, so you need a "K" to overclock now.

To paraphrase a quote from Animal Farm

All Z87 motherboards will overclock, but some Z87 motherboards will overclock more than others.

With the exception of a very few really low end boards without bios support, any Z87 motherboard will overclock to some degree. However, component quality and the feature set for CPU & memory control will determine how well you can overclock a particular chip. For instance, does the motherboard have 16 phase, 12 phase, 8 phase, or 4 phase CPU power regulation? It will make a difference. Try to stick with companies that have higher build quality and that use higher quality components. Check the reviews (especially [H]ard reviews ;)) of the motherboards you are looking at and go from there. I would recommend an ASUS Z87-A or Z87-Plus. Those boards will blow your budget but if you want to overclock, Haswell, you will have to have a Z87 chipset board. You can find some cheaper Z87 motherboards but build quality and component choice will come into play as to how good of an overclock you can get. And to top it off, luck of the draw on your processor will probably have more effect on how well it overclocks than your board. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited:
Back