can anyone tell me what this adapter is called...?

wol-va-rine

2[H]4U
the ones circled in red...? would somewhere like Fry's or Micro Center have it...? or is it a specialty order online somewhere...? a friend of mine is thinking about cutting his motherboard (x1 slot) to fit another bitcoin mining card in, I'm trying to prevent him from killing the resale value of his motherboard, if they're custom made FML (they look like they are home made, no?)...

img2030vt.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can someone explain what the heck is going on here? Strangely suspended video cards?

Can someone explain what the heck is going on here? Strangely suspended video cards?

It is a setup for bitcoin mining. Apparently, you don't need anything but a x1 PCI-e slot to hook up the vid cards for bitcoin mining. that way, you can use every PCI-e slot on the motherboard to hook up cards for bitcoin mining.

No other way to fit that many 2 slot cards on a motherboard.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies fellas, the reason people do this is that it's a cost effective way of mining, if you have a motherboard with two PCIE x16 slots and two PCE x1 slots running this kind of setup for four cards is cheaper than running it on two motherboards, especially if you have to buy another crossfire motherboard...

I didn't think bitcoin mining was still viable at this point.

even my two gpus (5850 and 4890) running in my systems can pull about 20 or so BTC a month at the current difficulty, one BTC worth $9.35 USD now, a few weeks ago it was $7, and roughly 6 months ago it was $0.20 USD...

a lot of people like myself will probably be dropping out when the next difficulty increase hits...

even my two gpus (5850 and 4890) running in my systems can pull about 20 or so BTC a month at the current difficulty, one BTC worth $9.35 USD now, a few weeks ago it was $7, and roughly 6 months ago it was $0.20 USD...

a lot of people like myself will probably be dropping out when the next difficulty increase hits...

I tried to find info on how to do this. Installed the windows client from the site which does exactly nothing. Learned there are a bunch of different gpu clients and learned there is no clear info out there. Very ambiguous.......and I don't think a single 460gtx is going to do enough to make it worth it even at only 8 cents/kw hr. Should I even bother looking any further or is it a pipe dream? I also don't care to have my pc running at 100% load 24/7 either.

I tried to find info on how to do this. Installed the windows client from the site which does exactly nothing. Learned there are a bunch of different gpu clients and learned there is no clear info out there. Very ambiguous.......and I don't think a single 460gtx is going to do enough to make it worth it even at only 8 cents/kw hr. Should I even bother looking any further or is it a pipe dream? I also don't care to have my pc running at 100% load 24/7 either.

um, it's actually pretty straight forward installing it and getting it running, also, ATI owns mining, especially the 5800 series cards (the shaders are huge in mining), if you ran quad SLI with 460s you'd have a hard time keeping up with my one 5850 in mining, and only your gpu runs at 100% load, your cpu hardly does anything at all...

Last edited:
I downloaded the client from their site bit it does nothing at all. So it looks like you need a separate mining app bit it looks like there's a shit ton of different ones out there but no one site or page explains it very well. I find a lot of forum posts but much looks dated. I dunno, looks like a good way to burn out a good video card. I'm not leaving my pc to run wide open 24/7 for anything not even myself......

Bit coins are hard to explain lol
Basically this guy invented a computer based monetary system (money that is electronically created). People are sort of buying into it. Your computer does work that is meaningless and you get paid in bit coins. Then some people will buy those bitcoins or trade for services. At some point those services and exchange rates coule be meaningful. This is really no different than the fact that people have created value in other electronic currencies like gold in WOW or any currency in various MMORPGs. Except this one does not have a game or much of anything attached to it. The only thing it has going for it is this chance that its limited supply would eventually drive the price of bitcoins through the roof. So people do it as a very bizarre investment of sorts.

TBH I think investing in bitcoin is smarter than buying lottery tickets.

The bitcoins have a limited amount of possible production. Because of this their exchange rate will eventually go up perhaps astronomically. Of coure my bet is that someone else just makes a new system that is more attractive and everything falls apart.

It is a very interesting experiement in value. Humans can create value in almost anything. It is truely amazing.

They claim there is no way to cheat the system but my guess is somone has or will soon figure it out. There is also the problem with governmental interference. At what point does a government say you must pay tax on your bitcoin. There of course other things that can go wrong.

All I can say is WTF?!?!?! People pay money for that crap? I'm going to start selling "rockcoins". Any takers $9.95?

Why does it sound like a scam to me? I guess technically nobody really loses anything.. But it sounds like eventually it just becomes worthless, so the people on top get a bunch of money, and everybody else that hasn't cashed out just wind up with shit in the end.

It's a crypto currency that currently only has value because you can use it to buy drugs online.

http://gawker.com/5805928/the-underground-website-where-you-can-buy-any-drug-imaginable

lol, this nonsense again...

it has value because you can go the a btc exchange and receive paypal for the bitcoins if you want to sell them, people also have reported that they have bought games, coffee, t-shirts, and other goods with it, even played poker online, but we know this can't be true because someone comes into every bitcoin thread and tells us that the only thing people use bitcoins for is to buy drugs...lol

priceless...

All I can say is WTF?!?!?! People pay money for that crap? I'm going to start selling "rockcoins". Any takers $9.95?

do we have to travel to your backyard to mine these "rockcoins"...? how many are there...? where can we sell them and receive actual Paypal payments for them...?

I downloaded the client from their site bit it does nothing at all. So it looks like you need a separate mining app bit it looks like there's a shit ton of different ones out there but no one site or page explains it very well. I find a lot of forum posts but much looks dated. I dunno, looks like a good way to burn out a good video card. I'm not leaving my pc to run wide open 24/7 for anything not even myself......

so are you speaking from experience here...? I haven't heard of too many folders burning out video cards, and they've been at it a lot longer than bitcoin miners...

In all honestly i do think that BitCoins will fall hard the second that a government looks at them for missing taxes.

Remember what brought Capone down, it wasn't any of the thousands of charges that Elliot Ness brought, all of them where dismissed (yes, literally all!), it was Tax Evasion that which got Capone down, and if you buy or sell crap in bitcoins and aren't paying state taxes, income taxes and the like, when the time comes, well, it will be nasty >.<

In all honestly i do think that BitCoins will fall hard the second that a government looks at them for missing taxes.

Remember what brought Capone down, it wasn't any of the thousands of charges that Elliot Ness brought, all of them where dismissed (yes, literally all!), it was Tax Evasion that which got Capone down, and if you buy or sell crap in bitcoins and aren't paying state taxes, income taxes and the like, when the time comes, well, it will be nasty >.<

I don't pay tax on stuff at Newegg, none, will the gov go after them first...?

102.gif

Well not after them, after you :)

If your state has sales tax, then yeah in theory you should be reporting it... but still the thing of Newegg is "small" transactions, if all your transactions suddenly turn to that type, then you can bet that the govt will shine their eye on you :)

Govt loooooves his money :p :D

Well not after them, after you :)

If your state has sales tax, then yeah in theory you should be reporting it... but still the thing of Newegg is "small" transactions, if all your transactions suddenly turn to that type, then you can bet that the govt will shine their eye on you :)

Govt loooooves his money :p :D

craigslist better watchouT...

;)

All I can say is WTF?!?!?! People pay money for that crap?
Might seem a little retarded at first glance, but think about it... How is "real" money any different? It was a bit of a different story when it was gold-backed, but nowadays money only has value because we all agree it has value. If enough people agree the same about bitcoins (or rockcoins, for that matter), then their value is no less real than that of cold hard cash.

Damn, now I know why a lot of people want to buy 5970's, I kinda regret selling mine now :/

so are you speaking from experience here...? I haven't heard of too many folders burning out video cards, and they've been at it a lot longer than bitcoin miners...

im just not interested in my pc sitting there running at max load 24/7....i use the features built into Windows 7 and CPU features as well as GPU features to allow things to underclock themselves and hibernate when not in use.....if it could do what it does at idle speeds then fine, but not fully loaded, no thanks

Damn, now I know why a lot of people want to buy 5970's, I kinda regret selling mine now :/

yep, you could've slapped it into a system and would be mining about 1.5 BTC a day, which at this current exchange rate would've been worth almost $500 a month, it's up to $10.20 USD now...

Back