Can anyone tell me what OpenCL is and why GPUZ shows it bugged?

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Downloaded GPUZ to see info on my new MSI 7950 but everytime I open it I get a message stating. Currently running 12.7 Beta & OpenCL is updated to the latest

"Intel OpenCL Drive Bugged. Please Reinstall"

OpenCL : Open Computing Language.
Think of it as the open source CUDA for making GPUs do other things than just graphics. (Like physics or signal processing).

It's a similar thing with OpenGL and DirectX.
OpenCL works on multiple platforms, not just Windows.

Now for your driver problem. no clue :(
Intel opencl drive? do you have a built in intel graphics card or something? the drive for opencl should be from nvidia i think.

Intel opencl drive? do you have a built in intel graphics card or something?

That's what I was going to say. Normally you get OpenCL drivers for all your non-cpu devices (really only gpus afaik). They don't make OpenCL drivers for the cpu, so it sounds like it's talking about an intel iGPU. Did you/can you disable the iGPU in the motherboard? You're using the 7950 as the primary display device, right? If you have no other options you may want to just download the intel gpu drivers and see if that fixes the problem. GPUZ is probably just recognizing your iGPU and complaining that its drivers are buggy, or that you never installed them.

EDIT: I'd like to make a note that while there aren't exactly cpu drivers, you apparently have to have an OpenCL runtime from intel or amd to use your cpu with OpenCL.

Last edited:
Ran into the same issue today when I downloaded the new GPUz. Go into BIOS and turn off the CPU graphics engine ( IGP I think it's referred to as) and your problem goes away. ;)

Yup you were right. Turned off my IGPU Multi Monitor and bam it disabled my Onboard video + I dont have the error anymore. Thanks

My 7950 in GPUZ now shows a check mark in the OpenCL box. It did not have that before

I am completely new to these forums and ran across this thread while Googling like crazy for the issue I describe below. Please be gentle if I've broken any rules or posted this in the wrong place. I read the rules and it still seemed like this would be a good place to start, rather than opening a new thread. Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to give.

System specs:

Core i7-2630QM @ 2.0ghz
8Gb RAM (DDR3)
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
GeForce GT550M w/ 1Gb dedicated

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad Y470 and the BIOS doesn't give me an option to turn off the integrated graphics. I have a toggle switch on the front of my laptop, but it seems to just give the applications I run the option to use the GPU or not. I can't get many games to load even menus without MASSIVE amounts of artifacting and crashes, but other games run just fine. I think it's an issue of many apps trying to use the integrated graphics over the GPU, but I'm not sure. I did try GPUZ and it shows activity for the GPU when I run Darksiders from Steam, then the game crashes. For all intents and purposes, I should be able to run this game on at LEAST the lowest settings. I have upgraded to the most current drivers, as well as tried a few different driver hacks and mods, older versions, etc. Each one I tried I then used Driver Sweeper to clean up remnants. I've also done a full restore, as I thought maybe I screwed something up myself. Nothing I do seems to help. The games I can run with minimal or no issues are the new HAWKEN mech combat game and Team Fortress 2 in Steam. The games I've had crash repeatedly are Darksiders (which upon first boot I actually got all the way through the cinematics and upon entering actual gameplay, the screen went blank and I could only HEAR the game, but it still responded. After that, I couldn't get the game to launch without crashing on the menu, which then had crazy geometric shapes and insane color flashes periodically). Black Ops II is the other one, which has almost zero issue visually. I can see the menu, I can move my pointer, but no menu options respond and quickly the game crashes and enters this crazy boot-cycle of restarting itself, crashing, etc. It even blue screened once doing this.
I know this is a lot of info, but I could really use a hand here.
Thanks again to anyone willing to read through all that garbage and give it a shot :)

Last edited:
Sandy Bridge HD3000/2000 lacks official openCL support. I believe Ivy Bridge and HD4000 technically support it, but the gains via the GPU are pathetic and not worth utilizing.

Back