Can anyone recommend an external blu-ray player/burner?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
Need one to hook up to my laptop. Nothing fancy. Most on Amazon seem to be within the $80-120 range. I am looking for one that will blu-ray discs (including 4k ones) so I can rip them to my computer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Another suggestion - where not elegant : You can get a normal 5 1/4 drive you would put into a computer and then get a USB to SATA cable to connect it. I have had better luck going that route and it saved a couple bucks. I sold my all in one.

I use the LG WH16NS40 drive and a cable similar to this: https://smile.amazon.com/WEme-Conve...1&keywords=usb+to+sata&qid=1611685599&sr=8-20 I dont have that exact model but I opted for a SATA cable with external power and not relying solely on USB power. May not be required. Note: I don't rip 4K discs but I never had a read fail on the BR's I ripped at home with makemkv.

I would go with an internal drive and an external enclosure. That way you know exactly what drive you’re getting. LG or ASUS drive. I have had good luck with my Vantec enclosure.

I also say internal drive with external enclosure. Around a year ago I was doing research on Blueray / M-Disc burners for a work project and kept finding all kinds of horrible reviews about almost every single drive available. Finally settled on an ASUS BW-16D1HT.

Back