can anyone recommend a brand for 6800GT?

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
First off: i would like to say hello to everyone here at [H]ardforum, im new here, but not a total newb, been around at amdmb for a while, but have noticed that the quality of that site has decresed dramatically, so i thought it would be worthwhile to make a name for myself here at [H}

so, the good bit:

i hear so many things about different brands and im not sure which is the best option. i've heard both good and bad things about the Gainward Golden Sample, i've heard good stuff about referance board designs like the ones from eVGA and BFG, but i've also heard that many are looking for non-referance designs because they're supposedly "better" but that some are actually not as good (non-referance coolers and such) :confused:

it just looks like one giant mess to me, and i'd rather make an informed choice about a 350-400 dollar piece of hardware! so what is the word on the street right now?

Welcome to the [H], best thing to do is to search the forums. this question gets asked all the time. Also your going to get everyone to reply with "my card is the best". and in the end you will not have anything to go on but every one liken the brand they got.

btw I have a BFG 6800 GT and I like it... stable, fast, and well supported...

Pretty much all of them are good. I have a PNY 6800 GT that I got a good deal on, and it's as good as any GT out there.

i had a gainward 6800GT golden sample, i cant ask for much more since it came preclocked 400/1100

i sold it recently due to my lack of gaming. not lack of preformance. the onl y thing i didnt like was the noise, tad loud

EVGA: makes nice boards, has a decent warranty, and i tihnk still has the step up program

BFG: makes nice boards, lifetime warranty, but now has off-reference cooler that actually does WORSE than the reference one (not by much though)

PNY: cheap, 6800s seem ok but previous gen of pny cards blew caps like crazy and they have a REALLY retarded warranty

leadtek: good boards, fricken GARGANTUAN cooler, decent warranty, takes 2 slots

gainward: expensive, GREAT board, good non reference cool with all copper heatsink, noisy, i dont know about there warranty, dual dvi connectors if you have 2 flat screens

XFX: good board, decent warranty, decent price...

hope that helps...

They all are pretty much the same. You cannot beat the warrenty of BFG though...

SeaFoam said:
PNY has the same warranty

not exactly bfg's is lifetime on all their cards, pny's is only on the ultra and it is not a true lifetime warranty its warrantied for as long as the card is on retail shelves (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.) from their site

Are you really going to use this card for more than 3 years?

you never know...i still have my geforce 3 ti 500 in my second rig...it still plays old games like a dream...and if it broke itd be awesome for it to get replaced...

personally I have an XFX 6800GT and I am happy with it. Like the above poster said, good boad, good warrenty, and good price.

from what ive seen, PNY's BFG's and eVGA's are the best. as for reference fan vs non ref. i'd say go with rev. the delta fan on it is a beast, only thing i recommend with reference is adding a few dabs of AS5 to everything under the sinks

SeaFoam said:
Are you really going to use this card for more than 3 years?

actually yes, quite a few people will like i do with my geforce 3 its in my second computer that my brother uses and its a bit over 3 years old now. To me anyways a true lifetime warranty means alot when its paired with quality anyways :)

Back